Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New adoption contact site.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 02:06

Hi Everyone I have just finished setting up 3 adoption contact sites. I have done 3 because I have split them into catergories, I wanted a separate guestbook for each. There is one for adoptions before 1945, adoptions 1945-1969 and one for adoptions 1970 onwards. The name of the site is Hope. The web address is http://www(.)freewebs(.)com/janmaddock/ When you go to this site please click on the relevant link on the left hand side for the catergory you want These are freeweb sites so it doesnt cost anything to leave a message or read the messages that have been left. The only thing is that you have to leave your contact details in your message if you want this person to contact you. I know some people might see this as a problem. At this moment I cant do it any other way. As I learn more I will probably be able to sort this out. I have never done anything like this before so if you do experience any problems please let me know. Please visit the site and let me know what you think. I wont be offended by any critisism. Jayne

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 10 Aug 2006 08:22

removed the ( ) ( ) and still says page not found (?) can you clarify the address please

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 11:14

Sorry about that I cant even spell my own name. I have re done the web address, it had 2 'd's in it. A case of sleepy eyes,sorry Jayne

Donnieinherts

Donnieinherts Report 10 Aug 2006 13:38

Cannot get the page up either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Donna

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 14:06

Hi I have just tried getting on the site and I didnt have a problem. I dont understand. The web address is http:// www(.)freewebs(.)com/janmaddock/ Remove brackets Jayne

Donnieinherts

Donnieinherts Report 10 Aug 2006 16:43

Now know what I was doing wrong, left the last / off. Also I used Google. Lovely looking site. Good luck. Donna

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 18:59

Thanks Donna I was beginning to worry that I had done something wrong. Jayne

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 22:23

nudge

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Aug 2006 22:48

Hi Jayne The site looks fine, but I was just wondering how people will know what the website is about as there is nothing in the address that would make me think it was about adoptions. Will the site come up on a search for adoption sites? Sorry if I sound stupid, but don't know anything about how these things work. Kath. x

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 22:56

Hi Kathleen I have catergorised it. But you do have a point. I think I will go back and see if I can put the word adoption into the title Thanks Jayne

Eileen

Eileen Report 10 Aug 2006 23:10

Well done Jayne - site is attractive and not cluttered with fancy graphics. Disappointed that you did not separate out the war years i.e. had 1939-1945/6. Can that be done now, or is it too late? Also how will one cross ref. names. It looks as if one will have to read every message every time, which will quickly become impossible as the site fills up. I know another site that is like that and the messages run into thousands with no way of searching by name. Another site has a very good search by name, or date, or surname, or area of birth, all searchable individually. Also worried about how people will find it as it does not have 'adoption' in the title. Sorry to sound so picky - I have not the remotest idea how to set up a site, so should not really criticise at all, and of course I obviously only want to search the war years as they are the years that are relevant to my own search. Blame it on advancing years (lol) Now I shall have to go and find it again as I forgot to put it on my 'favourites' Eileen

Pain

Pain Report 10 Aug 2006 23:24

Hi Eileen You are not being picky at all. I have now been back and put the word adoption in all 3 sites. I have put one there that is pre 1945 (just for you) It will say it in the title 'Hope adoptions before 1945' I know what you mean about cross referencing. The thing is I couldnt afford or understand how to do one of those sites. Hopefully if I manage to get on a course I will be able to update it. If you can remember what date you last looked on the site you should be able to make your search from that day forward as it puts them in date order. Thanks for putting it on your favourites. Jayne

Eileen

Eileen Report 10 Aug 2006 23:54

Hi Jayne - glad you were not upset, and really glad you have done the site, its time there were some new ones to attract attention. Did not know that different bits cost more than others, guess I've got a lot to learn - will try to pay more attention to sin-in-law when he talks about computors. Must be very nice to hime just now anyway, as he is laying laminate floors and tiling bathroom in our new family room. Man of many talents. Eileen

Pain

Pain Report 11 Aug 2006 01:08

Hi Eileen Did you mean to put sin-in-law, it made me laugh anyway Jayne

Pain

Pain Report 14 Aug 2006 22:41

Just nudging for someone Jayne

Mary

Mary Report 15 Aug 2006 16:52

I've been trying to get onto this site with no luck. I'm using Google because thats the search engine I've got.......being a novice with computers I dont know what else to use. Even tried just typing in Hope adoption before 1945 hoping that would come up with it but no luck. Any ideas please ?

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 15 Aug 2006 18:04

hi, like mary i have google for my search engine and i cant get on the site as ether hazel.

Pain

Pain Report 15 Aug 2006 20:16

Hi Hazel and Mary I know this mind sound a daft question but, have you typed in the web address correctly? Did you remove the brackets around the dots? I have just typed it in and I managed to get on there. Give it another go and let me know how you go on, I will be going out soon but will be back on later. Jayne

Eileen

Eileen Report 16 Aug 2006 00:01

Hi, Pain in..... Yes he is my sin-in-law as he is not married to my older daughter, also have another sin-in-law who is not married to my younger daughter, but he is the father of my older daughter's son, thus making younger daughter aunt/step ma. Confused, most people are, but it works in our family. They are lovely lads, and it is a nice way to keep 1st sin-in-law in the family despite his not being with older daughter any more. We all share the care of our four-year old grandson, as we all live together. i.e. we grandparents make sure we have a house big enough for them all to have their own bits of. Younger son also lives here, and older two sons and their wife and girlfriend also visit and stay frequently. Most of the time its a lot of fun, occaisionally there is the odd tiff, but thats family life.............. Eileen

Pain

Pain Report 16 Aug 2006 00:20

Eileen WOW. I felt tired just reading that. lol Every credit, it must be great that there is no hard feelings between anyone. I wish my family was like that. Jayne