Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Something puzzling!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 20:50

My grandfather was born in 1916 and on his birth certificate it says his father was a Sergeant Major in Durham Light Infantry. What is puzzling is that my Great Grandfather was only 26 at the time and out of everyone in family was the only one that appeared to be wealthy. My Great Grandfathers father was a Railway Plate Layer when he was born in 1890. Also other members of his family were generally labourers. Acccording to my mum, she thinks that my Great Grandfather owned Nurseries onces he had left the army. I am not sure how accurate this is and whether there is a way to actually finding this out. After talking to my husband about this, he thinks that it is possible that he could either had lied about his occupation or he could of robbed the dead and bought his way to the top. I know that I can get his army records which would actually tell us what rank he was in the army, but just wondered what your thoughts would be on this. Thanks Nicola xx

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 20:52

I forgot to ask, does anyone know what the ranks are in the army and how far up a Sergeant Major is. Thx Nicola

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 19 Aug 2006 20:59

He probably had another job until he signed up for the war. In battlefield conditions promotion could be quite swift. Nevertheless he would have needed time to rise to the rank of SM so i would guess that he signed up at the beginning of the war rather than being conscripted, which only began in 1916.

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 19 Aug 2006 20:59

not really anything to do with it, but my g g uncle was in the Durham light infantry - only a private though.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 19 Aug 2006 21:01

You know that you can get his medal card online tonight by logging onto the National Archives site. It will cost you £3.50 I think.

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:04

thx for that Paul, how would I do that, I have tried searching the national archives site and keep drawing a blank. I really don't know how to go about it and how to use the site properly. thx Nicola

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2006 21:05

I don't think a Sgt Major would be wealthy, though obviously better off than a labourer. Sgt majors were non-commissioned officers, so they wouldn't have needed money to buy their rank, but have been promoted from the lower ranks. Not everyone in a family, particularly later on in the 19th and 20th centuries when education began to open up better career paths, would have stayed in the same income bracket. I've found several instances where someone's been a labourer and had siblings with better paid jobs. nell

Deb

Deb Report 19 Aug 2006 21:06

Have you checked to see if you can find his Medal card on documents online....they would have his rank...And am I right in thinking that promotions were in despatches?? Paul would know the answer to that!! Also how about checking the national roll of honour...its on 1837online.. Deb

Merry

Merry Report 19 Aug 2006 21:08

In the army there are commissioned officers and other ranks. Some people who are not commissioned officers can progress through to become a non-commissioned officer, or NCO. Here are the general ranks for men other than commissioned officers: Warrant Officer Class 1 Warrant Officer Class 2 Staff Sergeant Sergeant Corporal Lance Corporal Private Private is the lowest and a Sergeant Major is the equivalent of either a Warrant Officer Class 1 or Class 2 Merry

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:12

Thx for that Helen, It just seemed rather young to be a Sergeant Major. Although my mum did mention that she was told that my Great Grandfather's wife died youngish, and was speculated that she died through his mental torture, is quite sad really if that was the case. I did find out after that, she actually died in 1938 aged about 50. Which, I suppose if he was that way inclined would have probably moved up ranks quite quickly in that time. Nicola

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:18

Thx Deb and Merry Would you know exactly where about I search for his medical card, I can't seem to see it in documents. Nicola

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 19 Aug 2006 21:24

My grandfather entered WW1 in 1916 as a commissioned officer. He was promoted twice in two years, on the field of battle. Don't forget that casualties during WW1 were extremely high, leading to promotion prospects for those lucky enough to survive. During the same war, my Gt Grandfather amassed a small fortune - well, quite a large fortune actually, by buying up toilet paper, would you believe, and selling it at vastly inflated prices. Money making opportunites are always available during Wartime, and not necessarily illegal opportunities either. OC

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:29

Oh well have searched his name on national archives and nothing has come up. If that's the case, does that mean his records are not at Kew? Nicola

Deb

Deb Report 19 Aug 2006 21:30

Hi Nicola It is his ww1 medal card and you can find it here http://www.nationalarchives(.)gov(.)uk/documentsonline/ Remove brackets You will need to put his name in the search box and a list of possibles will appear. If you find the one your are looking for you need to pay £3.50 to download it. Did he have an uncommon name?? that will make the search a lot easier. If you think you have found him but want a second opinion before buying just post his name on here and I'm sure someone will help. Deb

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:36

Well I have put his name on there Deb and nothing, not a dicky bird lol So where would I go from here? Does that mean his records are not at Kew, or does that mean I will have to go to the Military of Defence to get his records. Thx Nicola x

Deb

Deb Report 19 Aug 2006 21:38

Nicola Can you post his name on here and I will take a look.... Deb

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2006 21:38

Nicola The medal cards are just that - cards which show which medals a man was entitled to, in WW1. Army records themselves contain much more. WW1 army records got damaged during WW2 and are known as 'the burnt records' only a third survive. BUT if your chap stayed in the army, as seems likely, you may get them from www.army.mod.uk/contacts/divisions/records.htm

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:41

Thank you so much debs, have finally found it lol Is weird though, cause before I put in James Trussell and got nothing I have just put in Trussell Durham light infantry and there it is as plain as day lol Its deffinately him because it says his name is James O Will update you all in a sec when I have bought it. Thank you all every so much, you are all fantastic would never have got as far as I have with my research if it wasn't for you lot helping me. Nicola xxxx

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:46

If I get this medal card will all information be on it that I see up now, it says date 1914 - 1920 does that mean when he started or when his medals range from. Secondly would he have medal card for ww2 as all I can see is for seaman in ww2. Thx Nicola x

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 19 Aug 2006 21:50

Sorry for being a pain, will put up everything that it says: Description Medal card of Trussell, James O Corps Regiment No Rank East Yorkshire Regiment 9182 Corporal East Yorkshire Regiment 9182 Serjeant Durham Light Infantry 54557 Serjeant Labour Corps 167362 Serjeant Date 1914-1920 Catalogue reference WO 372/20 Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War Piece Thompson J - Ward H H Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection Number of image files: 1 Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£) 87596 / 14214 PDF 1.2 1 261 1 3.50 Could some kind person explain all this to me, and explain about the bit that says 1 medal car of many for this collection. Does that mean he has more medal cards? Thx Nicola x