Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why oh Why don't people look where ancestors are f

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2006 20:02

see below

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2006 20:02

I have had two people contact me today about names in my tree. Obviously they had a 'Hot Match'. The places the people were born were nowhere near where mine were from. One was even born in Australia when mine was Derbyshire. I was asked if it was the same person. For goodness sake, 'put brain in gear' springs to mind. I find it difficult not to be sarcastic when I get messages like this. Margaret

Mandy

Mandy Report 24 Aug 2006 20:07

Margaret, I live in Derbyshire...OBVIOUSLY we're related! Lol

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Aug 2006 20:10

Oh Mandy Must be related lol

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 24 Aug 2006 20:12

I had one was your XXXX (no date or place) the daughter of J & M? I actually have 2 different ladies called XXXX on my tree - one married into a Yorkshire family and the other into a Norfolk family. I sent back a polite little note saying who each of them married, but haven't heard another word. Jay

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Aug 2006 20:20

I have had the same.......................... 'looks like we may be related, I also have xxxxx in my tree he is my ............., what relation is he to you'? Same name wrong plcae of birth, wrong date of birth, just the same name!! the mind boggles Joanen

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Aug 2006 21:16

Blimey, I now find myself having to defend Hot Matches!!!! I agree with everything you say and it IS infuriating, but consider this. I have a man who was raised and died in a place. I ASSUME he was born there too, although nobody has SAID that and I cannot find a baptism for him in his home town. I am therefore widening my searches as I suppose I dont have a clue where he was really born - could be timbuctoo for all I know. I do agree though - most of these enquiries are fishing trips from people who hope they will get lucky and wont have to do any original research. At least my man is firmly documented from the age of 5 till his death - its just his **** baptism I need, to see who his mother is (dead before first census, no marriage found for father) OC

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 24 Aug 2006 21:43

I had one did I think it was spooky that their relly came from Bristol Street Stafford and mine came from Bristol.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Aug 2006 22:24

Annie LOL! One really daft one I had, was my Mary Bell, born 1801 in Manchester. Up came an excited matchee with Mary Bell, born 1957 in Australia -DID I THINK IT WAS THE SAME ONE? No, I didnt. OC

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2006 23:17

Apparently if you go back far enough we're all related. Now there's a thought. I live in one of the shires so perhaps there's a connection. Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2006 23:36

None of mine have EVER lived in Derbyshire so we MUST be related.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Aug 2006 23:37

Jim I had TWO Grampas - so you must be one of them! OC

Jean....

Jean.... Report 24 Aug 2006 23:51

I'm blond......will that do....

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 24 Aug 2006 23:53

who got out the wrong side of bed this morning? So what if you get a couple of emails?!! I am happy to reply to all of them......thats why I joined the site!! and I have made some great friends AND found connections when I really didnt think we had one. Choose the option not to show relatives in the last 100 years and this will cut down your emails!!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Aug 2006 23:56

Er - Kimberley, I DON'T have anyone, except me, on my tree, born in the last 100 years. Still didnt stop the above daftness. and I don't get one or two, I get DOZENS, of fishing emails. I reply politely to them all, but have to grind my teeth with some of them. OC

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2006 00:07

I always check when I get my Hot Matches. Before I send an email. If mine was born in Surbiton and theirs was born in Australia I don't bother to waste my or anyone else's time by making contact. It would appear that a lot of people do not do likewise. It can be very annoying.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2006 00:14

Right children having had a darn good laugh I'm off to bed but just remember, be polite to the pain in the *** in the checkout queue it may be your long lost Aunt Fanny!!!

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 25 Aug 2006 00:53

Aunt Fanny!!!????......... Could it be she was from...........nah! spose not! lol

Sheila

Sheila Report 25 Aug 2006 01:14

Hi O C Can I please boast I have 4 Grandpa's Sheila

Lin in Sussex

Lin in Sussex Report 25 Aug 2006 06:38

I am one of these guilty parties. But, having said that I have found several cousins which are definites. If like some of us you start with very limited info and have a degree of common sense then you hope that you are going to meet helpful understanding people along the way.