Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where is it?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 12:51

I want to look at the census information on Groomsbridge can any one help me locate it please?

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Sep 2006 12:51

Groombridge is in East Sussex.

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Sep 2006 12:54

About an inch left and down a teesy weesy bit from Royal Tunbridge Wells!! Victoria

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 12:57

Thankyou both!! Really want to know how to locate the actual area on the census, I was looking under Kent that must be where I am going wrong

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 12:59

think it comes under the civil parish of Withyham

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 13:08

thankyou again I am off to google now Rita

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 15:23

Hi I found groomsbridge and the census but not who I was looking for! I tried Withyham as well. I wanted a Jane and John Hewitt. I will try again to see if I have missed something Rita

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 15:25

have you got any ideas of their years and places of birth - also which census or censuses were you trying to find them on - give us some details and we´ll see if we can help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Sep 2006 15:26

Tell us where and when each was born, and their relationship to each other..........and the census on which you wish to find them........... Reg

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 15:32

I was trying on the 1851 census I have a birth certificate for a Harriet born in 1852. Her parents were John and Jane and the address is just given as Groomsbridge. S not a lot to go on I'm afraid Rita

Robert

Robert Report 1 Sep 2006 15:44

Just down the road to me. It's right on the Kent/Sussex border. Its a fairly small village with one great big house (which was used in the recent film version of Pride and Prejudice). If there is anything specific about the place you want to know, I might be able to found it out. Rob

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 15:49

Nothing specific Rob 'just' trying to trace family, I know they qwere in Groomsbridge in 1852( a birth cert) so presuming they were there in 1851 Rita

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 15:49

What is her fathers occupation on the birth certificate ?

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 15:51

This is the only John / Jane Hewitt/Hewett I can find - but no sign of a Harriett 1861 Emily Hewett abt 1856 Tonbridge, Kent, England Daughter Tunbridge Wells Kent George Hewett abt 1854 Speldhurst, Kent, England Son Tunbridge Wells Kent Harry Hewett abt 1850 Speldhurst, Kent, England Son Tunbridge Wells Kent Jane Hewett abt 1811 Penshurst, Kent, England Wife Tunbridge Wells Kent John Hewett abt 1808 Speldhurst, Kent, England Head Tunbridge Wells Kent Louisa Hewett abt 1858 Tonbridge, Kent, England Daughter Tunbridge Wells Kent Tom Hewett abt 1843 Speldhurst, Kent, England Son Tunbridge Wells Kent Johns occupation carpenter

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 15:51

Not helpful - it is labourer

Rita

Rita Report 1 Sep 2006 15:53

brickwall again!

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 15:56

what was mother´s maiden name ? - maybe we can start from when John and Jane were married and work forward ?

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 16:01

GR - is anyone going to do anything about this site - or are we going to get a refund ?

Elaine

Elaine Report 1 Sep 2006 16:03

some of the BIVRI match with the 1851 census I found

Robert

Robert Report 1 Sep 2006 16:07

The place is now called Groombridge. Does it improve any of your searches if you leave out the 's'? Rob