Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think of the Origins Network?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 4 Sep 2006 13:40

I was interested in the free access today, but was disappointed that there were problems getting in initially. However, when I did get in, I managed to finding a missing person from 1841, Drake had been transcribed as Dicke! I didn't find much else of use though, what does anyone else think?

Sarah

Sarah Report 4 Sep 2006 13:42

Only managed to access the site properly about 15 minutes ago. Searched for hubby's Irish ancestors in Griffith's Valuation. Found a few possible matches and before I could look at anything in more detail the site seems to have crashed. So seems it may be useful in theory, but useless in practice unfotunately.

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 4 Sep 2006 13:42

Not a lot at the moment! Jay

Lynn

Lynn Report 4 Sep 2006 13:50

I found that the irish stuff was quite vague, particularly if you are looking at a common name, but i suppose that is just how the records are. I know that I won't bother subscribing!

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2006 13:54

Lynn, I find the British Origins part useful for London ancestors, especially the marriage licence allegations indexes, but I have had a quick look at Irish Origins today on the free access and not really found anything useful except a Griffith's Valuation entry for one of my partner's ancestors which I already had from somewhere else anyway. I find Griffith's Valuation is only useful if the person you are looking for had a very unusual name or you already know exactly where they lived. Otherwise how do you know which entry is the right one? Kate.

Matthew

Matthew Report 4 Sep 2006 14:30

I have taken some information off there, but to be honest, if I had paid for it I would have been disappointed. There are no Census records for the northeast of England and the Irish records, although interesting, are too vague to be of much use (not that it is the fault of the site).

Sidami

Sidami Report 4 Sep 2006 14:33

RUBBISH....................

Rachel

Rachel Report 4 Sep 2006 14:38

I thought that I'll take advantage of the free access. As an Ancestry member I already have access to census returns, so was interested in the other databases they have. Been searching these and haven't found anything. They could do with adding a lot more, for a wider period of time and for all counties. Yes I am disappointed.

Keptin

Keptin Report 4 Sep 2006 14:54

I dont know why they name it British origins, it should be London Origins.

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 4 Sep 2006 15:06

They won't let any new people register at all now, can we have them under the Trade Description Act? It hasn't been 24 hours yet!

Christine

Christine Report 4 Sep 2006 15:47

I tried doing the same, Brenda, with no luck either. I shall be rather niggled if I am now bombarded with email/mail rubbish, having to add my address, phone number etc. I have given up, and think I shall just stick to Ancestry......... Chris

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 4 Sep 2006 15:50

Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864 is available free here: http://www.failteromhat*com/griffiths.php

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2006 15:56

Utter c**p. I have never used a family history site that was soooooooo confusing, and at the end came up with none or less information than you already had in the first place. Lu

Linda

Linda Report 4 Sep 2006 15:59

I am glad i managed to log on today for the free trial .Would of been dissapointed if i had paid. Apart from the 1841 census , it was of no use to me researching Lancashire. Linda

Sarah

Sarah Report 4 Sep 2006 16:01

The only possibly useful thing I've found is Griffith's Valuation (which is the full version, as opposed to only the index available free on other sites). But the only reason this could be useful is because I do already know which townland to search in for hubby's ancestors. Without knowing the townland I can't see it being very helpful, unless searching for an unusual name.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2006 16:03

If you give your real name address and telephone number, surely you must expect to be bombarded with info. You did not have to supply actual names/address etc. as long as the email had a legit address at the end - you could have put fannywhatshername Lu

Christine

Christine Report 4 Sep 2006 16:06

Talula, I wouldn't have given all my personal info to them out of choice, but the boxes indicated an asterix which I took as compulsory. Chris

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2006 16:08

They are, but to don't have to put your actual info in unless you are for real and want to subscribe - they propably use all the addresses and sell to a mailing company. Lu

Christine

Christine Report 4 Sep 2006 16:09

Oh right - didn't realise that. Chris

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2006 16:10

Don't worry, you won't be 'bombarded' with info. The site is the site of the Society of Genealogists, so it's not some cowboys or anything like that! As for what is on British Origins, honestly, if you do have London ancestors it can be very useful. I have found entries in the marriage licence databases on there for several of my ancestors who didn't turn up on the IGI or Pallot's Marriage Index. And you can order hard copies of the marriage licence applications for £10. There is also a database called Bank of England Will Extracts or something like that, which I found one of my elusive ancestors on (his will is also on the National Archives, but the description of him (occupation and address) is different on there so I couldn't identify him!) There are some other databases like London Burials and so on. But if none of your ancestors came from London, well, I wouldn't bother paying if I were you. You can always take out a 72-hour subscription for a few pounds and that one is not automatically renewed. Kate.