Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval Records are they worth getting

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Sep 2006 16:03

If I applied for my rellies naval records what sort of things would they tell me thanks

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Sep 2006 16:12

I got the record for a cousin, who was sadly killed at the age of 16 at the Battle of Jutland. Here's what was included: No. Full name Date of birth Place of birth Occupation at the time he was enlisted When he signed up, and how long for Age when he enlisted Height Chest measurement Hair colour Eye colour Complexion Whether he had any wounds, scars, or marks; I presume this only applies to any he'd have when he enlisted. A list of where and when he served, and at what rank. Also included is the reason for his leaving the service, or where and when he died. My cousin only had a very short service record, but if he'd been around for longer then he might have built up an interesting set of details giving his 'Character & Ability'. The columns for those aer extremely narrow, so I'd imagine that a simple code was used. Hope this helped!

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Sep 2006 16:34

I've got the same problem. I don't even know whether the person I want researched is a relative, it's rather clutching at straws. Do they give the names of parents because that really is the only way I shall know whether it is him or not? Also do you have any idea of how much a search would cost? Gloria

Brit

Brit Report 9 Sep 2006 16:45

Hi I asked for my father's Naval Records and they quoted my 30 pounds, unfortunately since I live overseas I can't send for them as they only take British money and no credit cards.

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Sep 2006 16:50

Hello, I enquired on this in a past discussion. Someone advised me that for Naval Records to apply to the address below and request a kinship form; NAVAL PAY+PENSIONS(ACCOUNTS), M. O. D CENTURION BUILDING, GRANGE RD, GOSPORT, HAMPSHIRE, PO139XA. I haven't applied yet. Did others use this same address? Regards, Andy www.familytreediscovery.net

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Sep 2006 17:01

What I detailed above was from the Registers of Seamen's Services. You can download records from it via The National Archive's website, costs about £4 per record. As I was only looking into a distant cousin I didn't investigate further, so it's possible there are more copious records available as well.

Brit

Brit Report 9 Sep 2006 17:05

I think the Register of Seamen's Services only goes up to 1923 .

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Sep 2006 17:10

Thanks for the information. What a rip-off, I know a hobby should cost you a little but £30 to turn a few pages is beyond a joke. If anyone knows of a good money-making scam I'm listening.

Brit

Brit Report 9 Sep 2006 17:14

For records after 1923 try this site for information www*nationalarchives*gov*uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service*asp as usual insert . for *

Janet

Janet Report 9 Sep 2006 17:50

Please everybody just get your facts correct before posting! Valerie You have not stated what years of Navy you are interested in nor whether or not you are interested in Royal Navy or Merchant Navy. Royal Navy Records pre 1922 can be obtained through TNA(The National Archives ) at Kew. You can either go in person and search or you can pay a researcher to do this for you. You can access the TNA site www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Royal Navy Records post 1922 are still with the Ministry of Defence and can be obtained through the Gosport Address provided you can prove Next of Kin and also give some details for them to realise you are looking for the correct person. John Smith just will not do! There is a cost of approx £30 for this and a very long wait. I obtained my father's Royal Navy Records pre 1922 at Kew and the address I wrote to for my father's post 1922 records to include his service in the 2 W War was actually at Hayes and to Gosport for his medal entitlement, but I did do this about 8 years ago and I understand it has all now gone to the Gosport address. I paid £25 and only received one page, but it did fill in many gaps so I was very pleased to have it to complete my record. Nobody has ever claimed that this absorbing interest of genealogyis a cheap hobby. The information included all the ships as well as shore establishments in which he served. The pre 1922 records included his place of birth, age on joining, where he joined and his trade on entry, none of which I knew before I obtained the records. Merchant Navy Records are also in TNA but only about 10% of these records have survived. Royal Navy Medals for 2 W War can now be downloaded through TNA, cost about £3. 50. I understand that anyone in the Merchant Navy during 2 W War may also have medals which can be downloaded. Some Merchant Navy Records are in Newfoundland in Canada but unsure how to access these. Janet

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Sep 2006 18:17

Royal Naval records pre 1922 are available on line to download on the National Archives at a cost of £3.50 I have several and they are well worth the money

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Sep 2006 18:22

sorry got called away the cheek of it !!!! Thanks for all your replies , nice to see so many still on here its been very lonely.I did download the short one from Nationalarchives but when I did another search they also had his number in some kind of Seamans records book you had to ask for an estimate give that number and what ships he had served on and so on which I did . But I am wondering how much this is going to cost and if it will be worth it. I am sure someone said that you often get photos of them too. I know his date and place of birth , he served in the late 1800s to the early 1900s

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Sep 2006 18:36

Janet: I'm going from memory, but I don't believe you're correct that only 10% of the Merchant Navy records survive. My understanding is that what was the Public Records Office intended to keep a random sampling of 10% and pulp the rest, but that a maritime museum in Canada, possibly their national one, arranged to be given the ones that were to be destroyed. So 10% of the records are in the UK, with the remaining 90% in Canada. I'm pretty sure the museum is in Halifax, NS, and that you can arrange to get copies of their part of the records.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Sep 2006 18:49

You're quite right Andrew and the web page in Canada is http://www.mun.ca/mha/

Janet

Janet Report 9 Sep 2006 18:51

Sheila It is the medals entitlement you can download for £3.50 NOT the Naval Records and believe me there is a very big difference between the two!! You have to search for the pre 1922 records yourself at Kew or pay someone to research for you. Andrew I did say, if you read it correctly, that only 10% of Merchant Navy records have survived at Kew but that there were more Merchant Navy Records to be had from Newfoundland in Canada and I stand by what I said previously, that only 10% of Merchant Navy Records have survived at Kew, but you can download a leaflet on Merchant Mariners from TNA site which will tell you all about it. I have searched in vain for my Merchant Seaman at Kew but he may well be in the Archives in Newfoundland. Janet

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Sep 2006 18:59

No Janet What I downloaded were service records. I have lists of ships that they sailed on along with dates and birth date, colour of hair, height, any marks or scars, badges received when they left why they left....and they were all dated from 1870 to 1900. Not a medal in sight and believe me I also know the difference!

Janet

Janet Report 9 Sep 2006 19:04

Sheila I stand corrected if that is so, but that seems remarkably cheap to me for those records. I presume you also have his place and date of birth and where he enlisted as well as his occupation on enlistment? Janet

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 9 Sep 2006 19:07

Janet, You ask people to get their facts right, this works both ways. Pre 19122 Royal Naval records downloaded from Kew for £3-50 Name DOB Civillian ocupation. Physical description i.e Height, hair colour, eye colour,complexion. and distinguishing marks. Date of enlistment, period of engagement. Dates of service on every ship and land base. Date of discharge. Conduct and awards. Jennifer

Janet

Janet Report 9 Sep 2006 19:11

Jennifer Thank you for putting this succinctly. I have already said to Sheila that I stand corrected on this one. It is good to see some correct information being posted. Janet

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 9 Sep 2006 19:12

Janet Yes you get all that information. If you check out the National Archives documents on line it is listed under 'Register of Seaman's Services'. There are also WW2 Seaman's Medals but they are two seperate things and yes £3.50 is worth every penny for the amount of information received and far cheaper than paying a researcher to do the work at Kew.