Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

O.N.S. £17.50

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bridie

Bridie Report 1 Oct 2006 23:01

I am too impatient to wait for the post!!!! 28th Sept my bank account shows a payment of £17.50 to O.N.S. This can only be for a search & hopefully certificate I posted off for about a week ago. I am looking for a male birth where I know both parents names and have previously trawled every bmd index available (as have others). My time scale for this birth is 1903 -1911 and I'm relatively sure it will be in London. So, £17.50. Does that mean they've found the one I'm looking for and my certificate is in the post??? Please, someone, tell me it does mean that .... it's so exciting!!

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 23:06

Whats the despatch date?...lets join you in the excitment! £17.50??? seems an awful lot!

Bridie

Bridie Report 1 Oct 2006 23:08

Hi Don't have a despatch date as I didn't apply on line for this one as it was a bit of a special search request. The chap I'm looking for is my late father-in-law's half brother who I have been searching for since I started this hobby 2 years ago. Do they debit your card on the day they post out their findings? If so I will beat our alsation to the postman in the morning, lol.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 23:15

I'm not sure Bridie All I know is that when you order on line and if they cant find it, they refund you £4 from the £7. You should see me and my chawwwawawa fight for the letterbox when Mr Postie comes! Good luck hun....dont blame Mr Postie. I love mine at the moment, He's brought me TWO certs in the past week...I love him!....prob hate him next week and set the chawawawa on him lol

Bridie

Bridie Report 1 Oct 2006 23:16

Having looked again at ons site I reckon it's £11.50 for the certificate and £6.00 in search fees (£3 per 3 years) so that means they found the birth between 1906 & 1909. Oh! This hobby is so frustrating. I just want the info. now!!!! You've no idea how many hours have been spent trawling indexes, parish records online, family photo albums for clues etc. etc.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 23:22

Oh! but we do!!!!!....hence my name lol...and yours! Good luck. Do me a favour cos I'm nosey.... Put your findings on this thread when you get em? I hate this hobby, dont you?...lol

Bridie

Bridie Report 1 Oct 2006 23:22

and I should add that the only thing I had to get me started was '..... then there's my uncle Fred .....' very helpful intro from my husband. I will lay money on him not being called 'Fred' at all. Lol. Need to go to sleep ... got a busy Monday. Arrgghhh - why doesn't post come at midnight??? Will update this thread when I have something to add! Night all.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 23:25

Oh damn it! gis his name and place of birth...lets have a nose around for him.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 23:26

Night night....sleep tight

Bridie

Bridie Report 2 Oct 2006 13:12

So, postman's been and no certificate. I do hope they aren't going to keep me waiting for 6 weeks before sending it. And just for the record here's what I'm waiting for. 'Fred' Pearson birth certificate. Parents George Henry PEARSON and Eliza Minetta (GARRARD). They married in 1903 - she remarries as a widow in 1917. There are no Pearson births from 1911 - 1917 with Garrard as mothers maiden name...... Registration district for most things is St Olave's in London. ....

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 2 Oct 2006 17:22

Bridie Their marriage took place in Shoreditch - did you already search for births in the Shoreditch area soon after (or even slightly before) their marriage date of 1903? Just as an example, I found this birth listed: Name: Frederick George Pearson Year of Registration: 1897 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Shoreditch County: London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 78 Still, that's just a shot in the dark. I guess we shall all have to wait until the cert arrives in the post then you can let us all know what they found for you.

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 2 Oct 2006 17:42

also, it's possible that he was illigitmate and born even before her first marriage...

Bridie

Bridie Report 2 Oct 2006 20:10

Mmmm! When I started this with my father-in-law's birth cert which gave mother as Eliza Minetta Heath, late Pearson, formerly Garrard..... my husband immediately said .... 'that's it - uncle Fred was Fred Pearson'. I have the marriage certificate for Eliza and George Pearson, I have the birth certs for her later 2 children and their marriages, deaths etc. mapped out but Fred eludes me still! Father-in-law was born in 1920, his sister in 1918 and Fred sometime before that ... we'd an idea he was 6 or 8 years older but as both boys lied about their ages to join the navy and father-in-law was orphaned by age 8 there's not a lot to go on. So - anyone else ordered a certificate on line on 28th September & what is the despatch date???

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Oct 2006 21:09

Bridie, I ordered 2 birth certificates on the 27th September,despatch date is 5th October. Sue

Bridie

Bridie Report 2 Oct 2006 21:09

Thanks Liz My fingernails might just about last out til Thursday. Hope they've not used snail mail. Fingers crossed then I should have them by the weekend

Tikal

Tikal Report 2 Oct 2006 23:10

Well I had despatch date of 28th Sept and the cert actually arrived on 28th September - which was a nice surprise!

Bridie

Bridie Report 3 Oct 2006 13:09

No certificate in post today.

Bridie

Bridie Report 5 Oct 2006 14:05

I thought if I didn't post yesterday to say the postman hadn't brought my certificate it might arrive today. No such luck! And now it's raining so if it is in the system somewhere chances are it will arrive all smudged and wet - yuk! Just feeling fed up - want it now!!

Bridie

Bridie Report 6 Oct 2006 14:28

Ok I've just about run out of patience now - might have to ring them and ask for a despatch date. ......

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Oct 2006 17:42

Re slow arrival of certs from Southport. When I phoned them last week about one I'd ordered and not received, I was informed they are 'trialling' TNT as a cheaper option to Royal Mail and my cert did finally arrive with TNT details on the envelope. I think we should all complain to Southport if our certs are taking longer than their anticipated delivery time because of TNT delays. Barbara