Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Would You Do ???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:17

i have the marriage cert of my grandfather and my nan. they were married on the 25th dec 1940 in greenwich. his name is walter leslie jones. born abt 1919 london. i have found 2 walter jones born in london at this time. 1 has the mother as humphry, the other is carter. his fathers name is walter jones. the 2 poss mothers both married a walter jones. so what would you do to find out which 1 of them is the 1 i would need ??? thank you for any help on this steve

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:25

None with his middle name?

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:26

1 has the L and the other 1 has not but the 1 with the L is born in 1920 not 1919 so i am not sure what to do steve

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:26

There is a Walter L Jones born (Q1) 1919 Poplar mothers maiden name Hawes i think, the page is smudged. 1C 896 I will check 1837 online to see if its clearer

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:28

Do you know what month he was born, or do you know when he died?

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:28

willo i have seen that 1 and she married a herbert c jones so i ruled her out steve

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:29

no sorry i know next to nothing about him only he was a signal man in the royal navy

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:37

Where did you get his birth year from.

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:37

willo now you can see why i put up this thread to see what other people might try and do lol steve

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:38

the wedding cert it says he is 21

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:43

Well personally I would order the birth certificate for the Walter with the middle name starting with L. I have always found middle names to be a great aid.

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:47

hmmm yes i see what you are saying but if i go by his age on the wedding cert he is born in 1919 not 1920 like the 1 with the middle name L why could we not be ramshead or something like that JONES what a nightmare name this is lol steve

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:51

and you have no idea when he died?

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:53

no he could still be alive for all i know as i said i know next to nothing about him sorry steve

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 14:55

On marriage certificate what does it give his fathers occupation as? If you was to order the birth cert with the middle name L then you can cross reference for the middle name Leslie and the fathers occupation.

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 14:58

it say his father was a labourer this is the only part of my tree i wanted to do and i can not get any where with it all the other side of the family i can get back to the 1790s i hate the name jones lol steve

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 15:00

labourer, thats not much help is it. Do you know of any siblings he had?

*~Lizbeth~*

*~Lizbeth~* Report 25 Oct 2006 15:02

I wouldn't go on just the middle initial- i had a rellie that i always knew by Bertie- but on his marriage cert he's Albert- then on the census he is Albert H. My point- if i'd had just gone on trying to find 'Bertie', i would have got no where. In those days, it was a matter of whether they felt like putting there name down in full!

Stephen

Stephen Report 25 Oct 2006 15:04

no not that i know of i hate this man his father is walter the 2 poss mothers had to marry walters whats the chances of that lol my nan never talked about him so i know nothing booo hooo why me what did i do to have this trouble i only wanted to do my family tree lol

Willow

Willow Report 25 Oct 2006 15:07

I know! I still dont know why I enjoy this hobby so much.