Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible to find who lived at an address?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Jan 2007 09:43

Trying to sort out a mystery - need to know who lived at an address in London in 1922 where my grandfather died suddenly....could help to trace a family member.....any help gratefuly received.

Heather

Heather Report 4 Jan 2007 10:19

Only way really is to get the local records/archives to look up the electoral roll for the address. I did this for my step Grandad who died in 1947 - I wanted to know who the person was who was informant on his death cert. Sadly, it appeared it was the landlord of lodgings step Grandad was staying in. Have you got his death cert to see who was the informant and cause of death?

Janet

Janet Report 4 Jan 2007 10:27

You could try the Poll Books but would need to go to the area concerned for this research, so if your G father lived in Bethnal Green you would need to find the nearest library to Bethnal Green and look at the Poll Books there. You may find that an E mail/Letter/Phone call to Library may do this for you, but if you want to plot several years they will not do that sort of research for you. However in 1922 this information will only give you those eligible to vote not all the persons living there. You could also try the Trade Directories such as Kellys but again you would need to either visit the area or the Guildhall Library in London has the most complete Kellys for the whole country. Trade Directories tend to have addresses of all trades people so if not in a trade may not be there. There is a small private section at the back of Kellys which may contain your address but that will be hit and miss. There is Historical Directories on line but that tends to be older Directories but you could try it. Just google 'Historical Directories'. Janet

Judith

Judith Report 4 Jan 2007 11:55

<There is a small private section at the back of Kellys which may contain your address but that will be hit and miss.> Not sure how they handled London districts but I have the 1949 Kelly's directory for Ipswich, 700+ pages long. The first 40 pages are a directory of places of worship, societies, postal and transport services etc. The next section, nearly 300 pages long is a street directory, giving the name of the householder of pretty well every house in the town, then there's a 250 page alphabetical listing of private residents and finally commercial and trade directories. I have used late victorian Kelly's directories which were in similar format so there is a good chance of finding the address you want - only drawback being that it will only be the householder listed, not the rest of the household. Also be aware the information will always be slightly out of date so for example my 1949 info was probably collected in 1948.

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Jan 2007 09:18

Thanks to all who replied - unfortunately I am in New Zealand and it is more difficult from here. The address is 46 Ouseley Road Balham. If anyone can give me some direction as to who to contact I could do that from here....Harold Francis Hurt died on 4 Sept.1922 at that address but this was not his 'residence'.Thanks for your help and if I can do anything to help from here with NZ searching just let me know.Thanks... I was kind of hoping that there would be census cross checks available for the addresses as well as names...always a chance that the same people were there in 1910.......

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 5 Jan 2007 09:26

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS........ From: 'Alan Brown' <[email protected]> Subject: Re: [SRY] Ouseley Rd Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:16:54 -0000 References: <02f601c09aa3$84478400$ab2cfd3e@b34120j> Hi Peter Thought something looked familiar. My grandmother Maud Emma Smith died in 1922. Address at death was 46 Ousley Road, Balham. Cause of death was certified by Wm L Maccormac MD who was the occupier at that address. I am sure it was a nursing home run by Maccormac. RegardsAlan, Sry, Eng [email protected] ----- Original Message ----- From: pj.adams <[email protected]> To: <[email protected]> Sent: 19 February 2001 18:24 Subject: [SRY] Ouseley Rd > Hello Paul > I missed earlier email re above, do you refer to Ouseley Rd Balham ,my > GGrandmother Thirza Adams died at No 46 on 4MAY 1924. I had assumed this was > a private residence.Are you able to assist me. > Thanks > > Peter Adams > Essex > Family Research Site > http://www.bluehand.fsnet.co.uk > > > ==== ENG-SURREY Mailing List ==== > Surrey List Homepage - New Section - !!Avoiding Viruses!! > http://www.melcombe.freeserve.co.uk/surrey/intro.htm

Strider

Strider Report 5 Jan 2007 09:42

It is possible, can you clarify the address; have you got a county, and some idea of the date you think yiu are looking at. I will then try to help at present I have had no joy so far.

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2007 11:17

It looks like 'Still Searching' has cracked it - the address was a Nursing Home. BTW, there are no census available after 1901 as yet.

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Jan 2007 20:04

Wow - you guys are amazing - thanks so much StillSearching for this.....now I have a new track to follow - was Harold a patient, visiting someone and then had a brain haem.whilst there? The plot thickens! are there records for nursing homes, doctors etc? As you have probably guessed, I am new to this family tree searching. Thanks again.....

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2007 22:22

One of the best tips I can give you is use a google search for everything and everyone. Also, if you are going to do serious family research, buy a years sub to ancestry*co*uk as you will then have access to all UK census 1841-1901 plus all births, deaths and marriage records. Do you have this mans death certificate?

Moggie

Moggie Report 6 Jan 2007 07:25

Hi I too thought the addresss was familiar. I too had a relative who died at 46 Ouseley Rd Balham on 28th January 1923. I have this information from the probate index and not a death certificate. It does seem as if it was a nursing home/private hospital. Maureen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Jan 2007 09:30

Me too! - my g-grandmother died at 46 Ouseley Rd in 1927. MacCormac was the certifying doctor in her case too. Until I read this thread I hadn't realised that this was a nursing home, so thanks for that! Richard

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 6 Jan 2007 10:28

Investigations at the local library sorted the problem out - 46 Ouseley Road was part of St James's Hospital.

Maureen

Maureen Report 11 Jan 2007 21:12

Don;t you just love it when someone comes up with the answer to what seemed to be a really difficult mystery to solve!! Thank you so much - I appreciate all of this and wish you all a very happy New Year with more people like yourselves to help you in your searching!!

Sue

Sue Report 15 Mar 2018 20:04

I know this post was a long time ago but my 2 x great grandfather also died at this address - cause of death - Fall from Window!! I cannot find anything else out at mo , there was an inquest but it was an open verdict. very strange. I know it was part of St James hospital.