Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glen in your new tinsel knickers UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brit

Brit Report 31 Jan 2007 01:12

I saw a tip you had put on someone's thread about putting in just the place names on a census search and you would get all the names of people there, and in alphabetical order. I did it right away and it worked. Now I can't get it to work and I can't find the thread! Could you please tell me again how it is done? Ta ever so.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 31 Jan 2007 01:35

Maggie...go to 'Your threads only' Gerri x

Brit

Brit Report 31 Jan 2007 02:02

Thanks Geri for your reply, but it was an answer to someone else not to me, and I just read it and tried the tip. I should have nudged it!!!

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jan 2007 09:30

Hi, I think that was me - its something I found out years ago, by accident. If you have a small village or town, just bring up a year of census and then enter nothing except the village name - the whole village comes up in alphabetical order - its fun seeing the same old names who interbred with your lot. Fascinating stuff.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Jan 2007 09:57

Glen's post was on a thread by Rutland Belle. It was titled,,,, Never give up searching!...... Gwyn

Diane

Diane Report 31 Jan 2007 10:29

Nudge - good one. Diane

Terry

Terry Report 31 Jan 2007 10:44

Nudge for later Terry

Karen

Karen Report 31 Jan 2007 14:42

nudge - must try this!

Karen

Karen Report 31 Jan 2007 14:57

Have just tried this - brilliant! Have never been able to trace my ancestor Thomas Sainsbury in 1841. Using this method I have found him listed as Thomas Saingbury !

Lynne

Lynne Report 31 Jan 2007 15:07

Does this work for all census sites? it sounds a very good trick! Lynne

Moira

Moira Report 31 Jan 2007 15:56

Great tip. Many thanks.

Krissie

Krissie Report 31 Jan 2007 16:12

nudge, sounds like a good tip.

LB

LB Report 31 Jan 2007 17:08

'Nudge'

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 31 Jan 2007 17:29

This is fantastic, I am sure that as my rellies came from a small village, others with the same name could well be related. Can anyone tell me if there is a method of scaning through the pages quickly? There were 15,344 people registered in an area I was looking at and the name I wanted started with a W. Even skipping 5 pages at a time took a long time. kathlyn

Trudy

Trudy Report 31 Jan 2007 17:55

Kathlyn If you're using the ancestry advanced scanner you can put a page number in - might take a bit of trial and error but you should get there fairly quickly Looby

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 31 Jan 2007 18:27

This also works with place of birth - which is a boon if they don't live where you expect them to be and their name's have been mistranscribed. Oh yeah, and if they keep changing their dates of birth!!! Let's hope they just get this one thing right then eh? LOL So, to summarise; Bring up the year in question Put no other details apart from place of birth and away you go ... everyone listed alphabetically through all the years.

Brit

Brit Report 31 Jan 2007 18:28

Wow, I am really glad I asked!! Thanks Heather, Ozibird and Gwyneth, this seems to have been something many of us are glad to know. Off now to look for the elusive ones! Many thanks for the help.

Brit

Brit Report 31 Jan 2007 18:40

Omigosh! I just did this and entered West Ham (not exactly a village, but...) I got pages and pages but they have not put the names, it is blank. When I click on View the names come up. I could be here a looong time with the 128,390 entries they are showing!!! LOL! UPDATE TO THIS; Just realised that all the addresses show the house is 'Uninhabited' yet they list the people there. I wonder what that means?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 31 Jan 2007 18:48

It was Heather that reminded me of this little gem. It's something i had done in the past and forgotten about, Heather mentioned it on the other site we use, (there were a couple more ideas posted too).

Brit

Brit Report 31 Jan 2007 18:51

Thanks Glen. I will look on the other site also.