Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need help reading a marriage certificate please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 20:17

Hi all Please help I have a marriage certificate from 1879 but the copy is not good and I can not make out the woman Sarah Ann Knight's father's occupation or the first witness? I believe strongly that the father's occupation could help me find them all in the cenus as I have struck a blank there too. Willing to send a scanned copy of the certificate to anyone happy to help, just pm and send me your email address Thanks again everyone Joanna

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 28 Mar 2007 20:21

Joanna, I have sent you a pm with my email, happy to have a look, but I'm no expert.

Nana Anna

Nana Anna Report 28 Mar 2007 20:26

Have you tried using the magnifier under Accessories. Only discovered this on my PC the other day.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 20:31

Selena Have emailed you the certificate hopefully you have it or will do shortly Joanna

Michelle

Michelle Report 28 Mar 2007 20:31

If you need another pair of eyes glad to help Michelle

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 20:31

Thanks Tink Will give that ago and see if I can work it out Joanna

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 20:33

Michelle I would need an email address which I could send an attachment too, as cant send a file on GR as far as I know. If your happy to send me your email just PM it to me Joanna

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Mar 2007 20:57

Any ideas yet? Rose

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 20:59

Rose Nope no ideas yet, I have had three people offer to look, and one unfortunately has replied dont know? But I completley appreciate each and every person's help, awaiting the reply from the others with any ideas Joanna

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 28 Mar 2007 21:08

10year daughter had a look and suggested Walworth Surrey we're still looking

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 21:11

Just to let everyone know. Witness Selena suggested second name could be FULLER? and Amy suggested Florence or Maureen for first name of witness and Shoe as second part of the father's occupation?? Anymore ideas greatly received Joanna

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 21:11

Just to let everyone know. Witness Selena suggested second name could be FULLER? and Amy suggested Florence or Maureen for first name of witness and Shoe as second part of the father's occupation?? Anymore ideas greatly received Joanna

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Mar 2007 21:15

I was thinking FLorence or Pleasance for the witness but then thought it's likely to be a male witness. There's usually one of each sex. It might say Engine Driver? Not sure the first letter is an S because it's different to all the other Ss on the page. Rose

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 21:19

Rose Engine Driver is a really good idea. If you look at the signiture of the registrar the surname looks like Dunford to me and the second part the occupation the first letter looks the same as the D for Dunford, so def convinced that is a D. Joanna

Michelle

Michelle Report 28 Mar 2007 21:35

Sorry Joanna I have been trying my hardest but couldn't make it out. I agree that 'driver' could be the second part of the occupation but the writing styles seem to differ from one part of the cert to the next. Do you have any details from other censuses or family marriages which may shed light on the witness. An in-law to be ? or close friend and neighbour ? Michelle

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 21:41

Christine Thanks for offer just sent you the image of certificate. Michelle Thanks for looking, no cant think who the witness could be. I know that the marriage was in Amport Church and that William White family live in the White Horse Inn, Amport (that is why his occupation is Inn Keeper, or landlord these days). I have not checked neighbours to the pub, but suppose it could just be a regular. Mary White I believe was William's Mother as he did not as far as I know have a sister called Mary, unless she was a sister-in-law. Thanks everyone again for your help Joanna

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Mar 2007 21:52

Joanna I have pm you

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 21:55

Elaine and Elizabeth have just sent you both the image of the certificate, sorry it takes my computer a while to attach file and got two messages at same time, didnt like to CC it as dont want to give peoples email address out, only right to do it individually to stop this, out of respect to everyone. Joanna

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Mar 2007 21:58

Do you think the witness might be Florence Ilsley? I have a whacked out theory that Sarah made up her father. Bear with me a bit..... There's this family in 1861: Name: Sarah Ann Knight Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1854 Relation: Daughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Mary Ann Gender: Female Where born: Basingstoke, Hampshire, England Civil parish: Newbury Town: Newbury County/Island: Berkshire Country: England Registration district: Newbury Sub-registration district: Newbury ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 17 Household Members: Name Age Florence Knight 5 Maria Knight 9 Mary Ann Knight 29 Sarah Ann Knight 7 William Knight 23 Sarah was born in Basingstoke but they're near Reading now. She has a sister called Florence and William occupations is Engines. By the next census there's a brother Stephen Charles. The first 3 children Sarah, Maria and Florence are actually Pococks and their father was Stephen. Florence marries an Ilsley. I don't see an obvious marriage for a Sarah Ann Pocock. LONG SHOT I know. Rose

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 28 Mar 2007 22:03

Wow Rose Now thats a theory but beginning to believe that anything is possible as can not find a birth/ marriage or death for a Charles Stephen Knight on Ancestry and would at least expect a death unless he died from 1915 onwards as believe ancestry goes up to this date for deaths approx. Joanna