Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I've hit a brick wall

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 30 May 2007 22:44

I'm new to genealogy (getting help from experienced hubby), and I've started tracing my grandfather's line. I found his father in the 1901 census and also in the 1891 census, along with his parents and brothers/sisters. Now as my grt grandfather was 15 in 1891 and his sister 17 they should be listed in the 1881 census as 5 and 7. I've found my grt grt grandfather in the 1881 census but he appears to be living at home with his parents and listed as unmarried! Now assuming that my grt grandfather and his sister are maybe products of a previous relationship but then took on the new surname I can't go any further back or even trace their birth certificates as I can't find a surname for them. Any ideas on where to go from here?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 May 2007 22:46

Can you please post the 1891 details Maureen

Karen

Karen Report 30 May 2007 22:56

sorry Maureen I don't quite understand what info you want. In 1891 there is my ggg/father as head, his wife and 4 children, 2 of whom were over 10 so should be on 1881 census, but 1881 census nor the birth records show any trace of them, and my ggg/father is listed with his parents and bros/sisters as unmarried.

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 30 May 2007 22:59

Karen what is needed is names, places of births etc. If you have the details of the family in 1891 and post it to your thread then we can look and try to trace backwards from then jane

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 May 2007 22:59

Really could do with the names and locations in 1891 Maureen

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 30 May 2007 23:07

My suggestion would be to find the marriage. If you're able to do this then the marriage cert will give you the mother's name and you can find out if they're with her. of course if she were married before and he died then it could get complicated as sometimes they will put all former names on a marriage cert and others they will only put the surname at marriage (which may be maiden name or previous married name) but you could still get clues from it. There's also the possibility that they were his kids and they just hadn't married yet or he was visiting his parents and the person filling the census in put him as single when he wasn't...so on and so forth. Also, are you sure the 1881 return that you found is the correct one? Good luck, Liz

Karen

Karen Report 30 May 2007 23:11

ah right, now I understand, ok i'll get the info all typed up tomorrow (son is desperately trying to kick me off the pc), hope you'll be able to help me. Karen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 May 2007 23:18

Karen, Members of this site love trying to knock holes in other members brick walls. Maureen

Karen

Karen Report 1 Jun 2007 17:53

Ok I finally got my son off the pc for long enough for me to do some more family tree work. This is what I have in the 1891 census James Salmon Head age 39 Potters Placer birthplace Tunstall Mary Salmon Wife age 38 Hanley Mary Salmon Daug age 17 Factory Girl Burslem William (my ggf) Son age 15 Potter Burslem Arthur Salmon son age 7 scholar Elizabeth daug age 5 scholar Samuel son age 12 Grocers assistant Burslem Then in the 1881 census there are no records of William, Mary or Samuel, the only James Salmon born abt 1852 is living at home with his parents Edward and Charlotte, I'd be grateful of any tips and help

Julie

Julie Report 1 Jun 2007 18:02

these ages tie in. 1881 Samuel Silvester Age: 2 Estimated birth year: abt 1879 Relation: Son Father's name: James Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Burslem, Staffordshire, England Civil parish: Burslem County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England Street address: 2 Bk Wellington St Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Wolstanton Sub-registration district: Burslem ED, institution, or vessel: 19 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age James Silvester 28 Mary Silvester 27 Mary Silvester 7 Samuel Silvester 2 William Silvester 5 I think this is them the writing is not readable i don't even know how they got Silvester James occupation is the same as the 1891, and where he was born is the same

Penny

Penny Report 1 Jun 2007 18:02

quote:James Salmon born abt 1852 is living at home with his parents Edward and Charlotte, Do you now that those were the names of james parents - or is that the only one you can see?

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 1 Jun 2007 18:05

Karen, You really need a birth certificate for one of the younger children, it will tell you the mothers maiden name and previous married name if she had one. You will then be able to look for a marriage between James and mary with confidence

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 1 Jun 2007 18:16

mmmm interesting.....found this record below: Name: George William Salmon Year of Registration: 1876 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: Wolstanton County: Staffordshire Volume: 6b Page: 151 Dont suppose you know if he used his middle name instead do you?

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 1 Jun 2007 18:20

Found this for samuel Name: Samuel Salmon Year of Registration: 1878 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Wolstanton County: Staffordshire Volume: 6b Page: 152 there were too many williams to narrow it down and they are living in the Burslem area which as I found and have put below is a sub district of Wolstanton Name: Samuel Salmon Year of Registration: 1878 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Wolstanton County: Staffordshire Volume: 6b Page: 152

Julie

Julie Report 1 Jun 2007 18:29

Fuzzy Have a look at my post ( a little up from yours) and let me know what you think, if i don't get back im having me dinner Julie

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 1 Jun 2007 18:58

Flipping heck Julie, names and ages of children correspond as does occupation of James his year of birth and place of birth together with wife of Mary and of course the fact that the image is unreadable....I have blown it right up BUT still cant read it! it could easily be Salmon as opposed to Silvester...it HAS to be them!! Off to open wine bottle and make tea in time for england match!!

Julie

Julie Report 1 Jun 2007 19:15

Fuzzy....Forget the wine, i think me and you deserve a bottle of champagne lol

Karen

Karen Report 2 Jun 2007 15:58

Ohh thank you so much I'll look into all that info later (Im not on my own pc right now), looks like the champers may be on me :)

Karen

Karen Report 2 Jun 2007 19:00

You two are brilliant, I'd be interested in knowing how you found that info though, I only found it when I searched for Samuel Silvester, so how did you know where to look? It does look like that's definitely them so at least I know I really am from Salmon line..lol

Julie

Julie Report 2 Jun 2007 19:06

Hi Karen I would tell you if i could remember lol No i did Samuel + Parents no surname and Burslem in where born Julie On my way round for Champagne * Grabs Fuzzy on the way*