Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Limiting Search Years

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 22:58

I need some new ideas! I know that my grandfather came to England from South America sometime between 1908 and 1914. He was a gypsy so wont be on an Electoral Role. As far as I know, there were not any BMD's for the family in that period. How can I limit my search years when looking for him on a passenger list coming over here? I know he came in at Liverpool. I have contacted the PRO at Kew and there are approx 250 possible ships in that time frame. Pat

Heather

Heather Report 11 Jun 2007 23:00

Well I suppose you know when he married/ his first kids were born here? Does that cut it down at all

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:02

Heather, No that doesnt help. First child born 1930. He came over as a child. His parents didnt have any more kids after they came here either. Pat

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:03

Willow, I have searched the name, with no luck. He was natrualized but not until 1939. Thanks for trying! Pat

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jun 2007 23:09

Hi Have you checked Naturalisation and Citizenship on the national archives website, heres a guide http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=242&j=1 have you tried putting in his name in national archives search engine?

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:16

Sometimes, one has to go forward to go backward ... if you see what I mean ... :-) Do you know when he died?

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:17

MM. Yes.. 1965 Have his death cert. Pat

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:21

so ... do you know where and when he was born?

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jun 2007 23:23

Have you search all of the BMD indexes between 1908 an 1914 for every instances of their surname? could help you decrease the time frame by a bit. Ignore me I just re-read your original post i.e no BMD's sorry :-(

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jun 2007 23:24

250 !!! you will need a hotel room luv :-)) you know that I wish I could help m'dear :-( Maz. XX

Willow

Willow Report 11 Jun 2007 23:25

Hi Regal Thats a shame, I cant think of what else you could try unless the family have a rare name??......apart from that all I can think of is waiting for the 1911 census to decrease your time frame.

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jun 2007 23:25

he will be on the ellis island site if he travelled from the states

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:26

Maz, I did mention to Paul about coming with me to help. You can imagine his reply!! I think I might have roped Aunty Jean in though to help! I could take a guess to limit it further but I also dont want to miss out important bits! Pat x

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:28

Willow, Well they DO have an unusual Surname. Still have to search the passenger lists page by page though as there is no index. Dont even get me started on waiting for the 1911!! :-) Pat x

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:37

Do you mind telling us his surname, please, Pat?

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:38

MM, No only that he was born somewhere in Europe, 1894. Family went to Canada in 1907, Travelled down through the States then into Brazil. Dont know how long they were there for before coming to England. Probably didnt get here before 1910, but I cannot be sure. Willow, :o) Have checked BMD's Ego, He didnt go in through the US, They entered through Canada and left through Brazil. Pat

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:40

I love that surname. Rolls off the tongue, sounds Polish, maybe? or from Croatia. Shame they missed the Canadian 1901 census! You are sure it was from Brazil?

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:40

MM, No I dont mind. The surname was Lazarovic. Pat

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:52

I've just put this in google - lazarovic+genealogy - and saw one site with your name, Pat ... :-)

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Jun 2007 23:54

Mm, It's Romanian. Not def Brazil, But def South America. Im more inclined to think it was from Montevideo in Uruguay because of stories i've heard. Brazil would be easier as there seems to be less ships travelling from there, Only 32 in that time frame. The other 220 are from Montevdeo! pt