Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Village Tree - Sweffling, Suffolk

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 13:29

Is this a good idea?

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 22 Jun 2007 13:33

How would you link them together, Or am I having senior moment

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 13:34

Am I completely mad? I know there are other people with ancestors from Sweffling in Suffolk. I know other people have done something similar. But is it sensible/possible to do a village tree covering say everyone who was on the 1841 Sweffling census return? answer soon before the men in the white coats come Clive

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 22 Jun 2007 13:36

Hi Clive I think it's possible but can't answer whether it is sensible lol You can get whole village census for 1841 off ancestry ! good luck and keep well hidden from the men in white coats I am sure they are lurking!!! Kaz :o)

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 22 Jun 2007 13:45

oh how wierd ...Ive just done it for the central area of my village! Not so much for names but for local history.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Jun 2007 13:46

You could do it on a PAF file as you don't need to link them. I am gradually adding my One Name Study to a PAF and it's easy. Have to ask 'Why?' though - seems a lot of work - would it not be easier to volunteer to transcribe info for FreeCEN - at least then you will end up with an Excel spreadsheet with them all on. Two birds with one stone? Although you can't share that info - if it's useful to you personally I dont suppose it would hurt to use it. Jill

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 13:55

I chose Swefling because I know it is small, I have the census returns for 1841, 51, 61, 71, and 1881 (when there were no more of my ancestors showing). I also know I have had contact from other Sweffling descendents. I know I can put the families together but ...... MAD! or am I ? Can we make this a team effort? There is something around one name on world wide web dot beat GR I hope clive-buckle. Abreviation for company and then . abreviation for united kingdom forward slash buckle stop htm Clive

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Jun 2007 14:36

My husband and I have done something similar here in Canada. We have a tree that covers all of the founding families of Cornwall, Ontario. It's a little different over her, of course. Cornwall wasn't settled until 1784 when a group of United Empire Loyalists were given land grants. The UEL's were those that remained loyal to the crown during the American Revolution, were driven from their homes and lived in refugee camps in Canada before being given the land grants. Since they were a reltively small group and isolated there was a lot of inter-marrying in these families. Our tree now has more than 50, 000 names. We are not name collectors, everything is well documented and sourced and has been a great help to others who have roots in Cornwall. It's relatively easy to do using Familytree Maker. You can add unrelated individuals then link them up when you find a connection. I would say 'Go for it'. The men in the white coats haven't come for us yet! Margaret

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Jun 2007 14:41

Over the years, I have done two village trees. It isnt easy, but it is fascinating. One goes back to 1556, the other back to 1700. I add to it virtually every day. I don't think I would START with 1841, though, as there is a relative lack of information on that census. OC

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 15:05

Thanks OC Point taken, I had said 1841 because - er, uhm, well I have it. Alright all volunteers. Sweffling 1851. Anyone with ancestors connected with Sweffling (spelt with one f or two!) in 1851 willing to co-oprate with me on this please? Clive insert 'at' sign clive-buckle stop demon stop abreviation for company stop abreviation for united kingdom

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 22 Jun 2007 15:26

My Mayhew and Scarlett ancestors came from Sweffling in Suffolk. I am descended from a William Mayhew born there in 1786 and died in 1858.

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 18:32

for evening viewers

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 22:19

n for the night shift

Joy

Joy Report 22 Jun 2007 22:22

My Emma Sadd married a Thomas Horn, and they were living in Swefling in 1851.

Clive

Clive Report 22 Jun 2007 23:13

MM Was that the Lankaster Sadd? Clive

Joy

Joy Report 22 Jun 2007 23:20

Just sent you an email, Clive. Emma was a niece of George Sadd (I think, from memory). Yes, for some reason, George's name was put as Lancaster on a census! ... :-)

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jun 2007 00:24

I guess you know you can enter just the village name on ancestry and bring up all the population?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 23 Jun 2007 00:51

Penny PAF = Personal Ancestral file, a free family tree download from the LDS. Personally, I use Tribal Pages for my village tree, as you can 'park' unconnected floaters on it, till you find out where they fit in, and then easily join them in when you do! OC

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 23 Jun 2007 01:09

Clive I have to say, I didnt set out to do a village tree - it just sort of happened! I realised that as my family came from a small village and had been there since at least 1480, they were connected by marriage to many other families in the village. A superb set of Parish records, with much extra information, was too much to resist and I kept on going sideways and backwards. When I had exhausted that, I started on the Google and found out lots more stuff. I have to say, I have done this almost entirely single handed. Many people have been very grateful to use the fruits of my labours, but rarely add anything at all to my information, which is rather a shame, particularly when THEIR family left the area, say in the 1800s. Still, I am obsessed with it and that part doesnt really matter to me. Enjoy! OC

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 23 Jun 2007 02:15

Clive - I have copied all the census results for Coddenham SFK, and will try to do the same thing there - one day! - definately a retirement project though!