Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Regions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Oct 2024 11:29

Ancestry have re done the regions. Am struggling to get my head around some of the results and how the results are shared, or not, across each parent.

Will post this on the General chat as not everyone reads all the boards.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2024 11:51

Presumably, this connected to DNA?????

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2024 13:31

Now I'm confused.
I was happy enough to have Welsh connections, but the new DNA grouping states there are moderate links to West Wales and strong links to North Wales.

I'm going to have to get searching, because as far as I know, my links go no further west than mid Glamorgan and no further north than the head of one of the South Wales valleys :-S

EDIT
Now double confused :-0
The above links were my maternal side.

I show a 45% link to England and Northwestern European origins. This would be mostly paternal side.

2 of my closest DNA matches are my 2 female cousins ( daughters of my father's brother) .They show as having 76% northwestern European links for the elder one and 63% for her sister.

My DNA links give me a closer match to the younger cousin( 486cM 7%)
My link to the elder is shown as 409cM 6%.
Why the opposite to what I would expect?

Instead of updates making things clearer, I'm more muddled. :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Oct 2024 14:37

One of the things I’ve got to go and have a look at is other people ( matches) because previously their regions didn’t show the adjustments unless the owner had been on and looked and thereby the updates registering.

My OH’s is more or less understandable but mine are not. My maternal grandfather came from the Channel Islands so you might think I’d have a bit of French but no, that now comes from Dad who has no known connection. Several other conundrumms to also think about.

Don’t forget that your cousins have dna from someone else in the mix. There can be a quite large range of difference between matches that would expect to be more or less th same ( going by my matches). The oddest situation is where I share a match with my first cousin but not my sibling :-S

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2024 14:55

I'm giving up looking for now,

My adult grandson, my closest overall DNA match supposedly now has 0 link to England and Northwestern European origins. :-S