Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptism details.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 16 Aug 2014 09:37

I wonder if anyone can hlep me. I was baptised at St Johns Church, Stratford, London E15 on July 31st 1935. Although I have an ornate 'certificate' which I found in my Dad's 'tin box' after he died, it is not an official baptism record. I would like to know who my Godparents were and although I have twice emailed the church (I live in the Midlands) I have never received a reply.
I would be very grateful if anyone can help me in this respect.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Aug 2014 09:43

Try emailing the Office, but cc to the other names on the list. You could ask if they still hold the register, or where it is if they don't.

Alternatively, send a 'signed for' letter.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Aug 2014 09:47

It looks as if the Register has been passed to Essex Archives - you're going to have to contact them and purchase a scan of the image.

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Result_Details.aspx?ID=51083

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/GetPage.aspx?ID=39

jax

jax Report 16 Aug 2014 10:23

I did reply on your other thread

I found my dads baptism from the 1930s on seax... Although there was a space for god parents... None were mentioned

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Aug 2014 12:20

William

The image for your baptism is on Seax however it does not include a record of God Parents and I expect only the Church would have that information.

A copy of the baptism record will be in your inbox shortly

Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Aug 2014 13:49

I NEVER email churches.

They (in my experience) never check them!!!

If you have the phone number, call them.

Often the people in the back rooms doing this type of work are doing so voluntarily, and in many cases (sorry about next comment) will be older parishioners who may not even be that computer savvy.

And phoning and talking to someone is so much more enjoyable. You get information about the church and the area as well.

Do try to phone them. :-)

William

William Report 16 Aug 2014 15:18

Many thanks to Chris in Sussex for the copy - it does confirm our address at the time and my fathers occupation - which are important to me.

Thanks to all for reading my request and adding information.

To DazedConfused, I'll try ringing in the week as the phone number is on their website. Just to add though that I'm 79 and have been very computer savvy for many years, no offense taken, I know what you mean. Of course my age is pretty obvious of course since I quoted 1935 above.

In defence of one church in Bethnal Green, where my mother was born, the vicar was most helpful and gave me more information than I expected about the area.