Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New member help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2014 00:20

I am finally a member of Genes Reunited, but have researched my family on other sites for some time now. I live in the US and would enjoy hearing from those who have researched in Gloucestershire (Yorkley Slade, Lydney, Thornbury to name a few) and the area of Glamorgan. My grandfather, Charles Maynard Cox, immigrated to the US from Yorkley Slade in the 1920's. I have met and maintained contact with my remaining family in the UK, but most are not interested in researching the family history. Any suggestions for this avid American researcher would be much appreciated.

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2014 07:09

Welcome to the boards, Nancy.

If you enter Cox in the surname box, and Yorkley Slade or Lydney or Thornbury in the birth place box in the Search/Search All Member Trees (top right) you will find out who on this site has those family members in their trees.

You can then try and contact them.

If you want to meet researchers in that specific area of Gloucestershire then have you looked for local family history organisations?

e.g. http://www.mythornbury.co.uk/thornbury/local_history/thornbury_society

Added:

Presumably this is your grandfather?

Births Sep 1892
Cox Charles Maynard Monmouth 11a 22

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Jul 2014 08:41

Hi Nancy,

I am not researching people from those places you mention but I know the area (Yorkley, Lydney, Forest of Dean) very well since my home is close by and I went to school in Lydney.
Thornbury I don't know so well, although that is also close to my home, but since it is close to the city of Bristol it's one of those places which tends to get overlooked/bypassed.
Can't help with Glamorgan I'm afraid.

If I can be of help with area information just give me a shout.
I am currently living overseas, but visit home several times per year, so if there is a specific photo you want, of, say a church or school, then I could do that for you.

Karen

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 13 Jul 2014 09:12

There is a dedicated BMD site for the County - although not including Bristol and its immediate environs

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

Could you give some idea of what you are looking for

Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry

COX Charles Maynard COX COX PARTRIDGE 1892 Forest of Dean Monmouth, Coleford 49 241

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 13 Jul 2014 09:12

Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
COX Albert PARTRIDGE Elizabeth Forest of Dean Monmouth Register Office Closed 1890 17 52

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 13 Jul 2014 09:14

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Yorkley Slade, West Dean (Gloucs), Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales

Print household transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Albert Cox Head Married Male 38 1863 Coalminer Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Elizabeth Cox Wife Married Female 39 1862 - Yorkley, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
George L Cox Son - Male 10 1891 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Charles M Cox Son - Male 8 1893 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Edith E Cox Daughter - Female 6 1895 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Corah A Cox Daughter - Female 4 1897 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Hilda Cox Daughter - Female 3 1898 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Gilbert W Cox Son - Male 0 1901 - Yorkley Slade, Gloucestershire Image Transcription
Print individual transcription View image Individual transcription
First name(s) Elizabeth
Last name Cox
Relationship Wife
Marital condition Married
Gender Female
Age 39
Birth year 1862
Occupation -
Birth town Yorkley
Birth county Gloucestershire
House number -
House name -
Street Yorkley Slade
Parish West Dean (Gloucs)
Town Yorkley Slade

before we spend too much time on this, please tell us how much you already know

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Jul 2014 11:06

I was going to suggest the Forest of Dean forum :-) but see that you have previously posted.
For reference.....
http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=39275

Of the 2 Members Family Trees on Ancestry (UK) - one looks like it may have been copied from the first, and the first, unfortunately, has only a couple of cited sources, which means, of course, not wholly reliable.....
EDIT:
I have seen several Members Trees on Ancestry.com which cite plenty of sources.