Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find Burial/Cremation in Brighton?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 7 Mar 2014 13:18

Hi

I am trying to find out where in Brighton Byron Albert Martin (d 9/10/1966) and his wife Gwendoline Mary Button (d 22/3/1967) were buried/ cremated.

Does anyone know the best way to find out please?

Gerry :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Mar 2014 13:23

Contact Brighton & Hove City Council:

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/community-and-life-events/deaths-funerals-and-cemeteries/family-history-research

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Mar 2014 13:23

Do you their death certs?

if they were buried in Municipal cemeteries then the Parks and Cemeteries Dept of the local council should have the records .

They will probably charge though for a look up

Gerry

Gerry Report 7 Mar 2014 13:51

thank you

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Mar 2014 14:57

If you can find the numbers of the cemeteries in the Brighton & Hove area, it can often pay to phone direct. They may well still keep some records in their offices and if you get someone who does not mind helping they may look up for you.

I did with with Kensal Rise (the other catholic half) and found exactly where my gran was buried, and they were able to tell me that there was no stone either. Lovely Irish bloke, had a great chat with him and he called me back with the info within 1 hour.

But many councils now do charge for searching and will charge for each search, even if buried on same day in same plot!!! Starting from around £25.00 per search.

Gerry

Gerry Report 7 Mar 2014 23:32

hmmmm. Not a cheap option then. I think my friend will have to make some personal visits to find his parents

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Mar 2014 12:07

£16 per search for a named person, per the link I posted above.

Gerry

Gerry Report 14 Mar 2014 17:25

Thank you ArgyllGran

I have taken the plunge and sent off for a search!