Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How would I go about.....?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 11:56

finding someone who went to Australia in 1959 on £10 package ? My naighbour and I were chatting this morning and he was telling me about a 'lad' he did his apprenticeship with. They were both on a bricklaying apprenticeship. As soon as the apprenticeship was finished this 'lad' went to Australia on the £10 assisted package. He would have been 19/20 at the time. Unfortunately he did not keep in touch with those mates back home and my neighbour has wondered many times what happened to him and how he got on - marriage, children etc. etc. Is there any way I could find out for him ? Any suggestions appreciated

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jan 2014 12:18

Passenger records on FMP go up to 1960 so his emigration record may show on there

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 12:28

Thank you Shirley but I do not have a subs to FMP so can't take that route.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Jan 2014 12:31

You could try this site:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/migration/

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 12:39

Thanks Potty - I'll take a look. Trouble is I have no idea which place/port he would have sailed to which adds to the difficulty of a successful outcome.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jan 2014 12:40

See if this link is still active (it times out) and from the drop down list, select Immigration and naturalisation records.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/NameSearchForm.aspx

If he is there, it will give you when and how he arrived in Australia as well as his full name, date of birth, and those of family members who went out with him.

If it’s timed out go to
http://www.naa.gov.au/
Select Family History from the links of the left

Find ‘Record Search’ in the 2nd paragraph and click.
- ‘Record Search’ again on the next page
- Then ‘Name Search’ on the green tab.

Put the surname in the Family name box, and select Immigration and naturalisation records from the drop down box.

With a full name, and (year of) birth we might be able to find him on other records held on FH sites.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jan 2014 12:46

I have FMP if you want a look up

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 12:58

Detective - I am having a go with the link you provided although the first is 'timed out' as you suggested. I am now going onto the next bit. Thanks for the information.

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 12:59

Shirley - I would love a look-up but do I need to pm you his name or can I put it on here. I have no idea whether he would still be living or not.

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 13:08

Have just been informed that as it is a ni ce dry day we need to take the dogs out for a walk!! Will be back on later so apologise in advance for any delay in replying to posts.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jan 2014 13:42

Margaret

Fot his privacy PM me and I will take a look and reply by PM

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jan 2014 14:01

Have PM's you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jan 2014 14:46

Didn't pick him up on the travel records

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2014 00:43

I'm on that immigration listing in Australia ........................

I took all the steps for immigrating, including having a job to go to, but then I never followed through with it because my father became ill.

But that information obviously never got through to the Immigration people!

It was quite a shock when my name popped up when I was looking for rellies who did immigrate!

But it was a reminder that records are not always correct :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jan 2014 11:11

Have you thought of looking for him on here...............under 'search all member trees'?

Or at Friends Reunited?