Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probably my brick wall. Where to go next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 4 Jan 2014 13:24

Hi,
My dad was born illegitimately in Liverpool in 1927. In 1928 his mother took his father to court and obtained a bastardy order for 7/6d per week. All that was available in the records apart from the names of the mother and father was the fact that his father was represented by Beswick Hanley which, after research on Google has led me to believe he was a solicitor from Hanley, Staffordshire. There is still a law firm in Hanley called Beswicks. The staff at Liverpool records said no other information would be available about the defendant. There is a family of the right name in Hanley in 1901 & 1911 census. Am I chasing rainbows following this family without any concrete evidence. Does anybody have suggestions on how I might be able to verify my information?
Also, the order was to be paid until age 14 which would take us to 1941. There are some miles between Liverpool and Hanley how would this have been paid? Very few people had bank accounts then.
Many thanks

patchem

patchem Report 4 Jan 2014 14:37

Have you been in touch with the solicitors to see if they had a related office in Liverpool in the 1920's?

Was his Mother born in Liverpool?

I am just wondering how they met.

Money was often handed over (to the Mother or child) in person when all lived locally.
I am just doing some searches to see how it was paid over a distance.

Christine

Christine Report 4 Jan 2014 14:49

Gran came from Great Crosby. Family rumour has him being a student at the university but the university have no record of him. I don't know how they met either. She was a domestic servant we think. People did move around a bit more after WW1 so he could have been in Liverpool on business or working. Am waiting on some military records to see if he was possibly in the area in 1926. Have spoken to solicitors but no related offices that they knew of. If I have the correct family they were coal miners in 1911. Have contacted on here some people who are almost certainly related to the family but they have not responded. :-(

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jan 2014 15:00

Possibly the money would have been paid by Postal Order, which the mother could cash at any Post Office.

patchem

patchem Report 4 Jan 2014 15:02

Some interesting reading here:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1920/may/07/bastardy-bill

Does not help about long-distance payment.

If he was living in Stoke then she must have known the address etc to track him down. Does family rumour say why they did not marry?

Christine

Christine Report 4 Jan 2014 15:11

Thanks Patchem, very interesting. That is very true about the address might seem dense but it hadn't even occurred to me!! No, rumour doesn't say why they didn't marry. Can only speculate. Unfortunately most info gone to the grave. If you manage to get more information on long distance payment would be glad to hear it.
Were postal orders available in 1920's Potty?

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jan 2014 15:33

According to Wikipedia, they were first issued in 1881 - several other sites give the same year.

Christine

Christine Report 4 Jan 2014 15:56

Yes I have just looked at that myself. Many thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jan 2014 05:16

people did send cash by mail in earlier days!

I can remember sending cash in the late 1950s and early 1960s ................ if you had to send coins, you attached them to a piece of paper with sellotape.

We were much more trusting then!

Christine

Christine Report 5 Jan 2014 09:44

That is true