Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael

michael Report 12 May 2013 11:59

Can anyone tell me how I find divorce records and what information I would need to find a divorce in the family, please?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 May 2013 12:04

It depends when

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/divorce.htm

The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937 : less than 0.2%

Divorce case files can contain petitions, certificates, and copies of the decrees nisi and absolute.

Decrees absolute give the names of the petitioner, respondent and (if applicable) co-respondent and the date and place of the marriage.

Ancestry hold many of the early ones 1858-1911

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 May 2013 12:09

From the link given above

Decrees absolute (1858 to present)

Find the decree absolute to obtain legal proof of a divorce in England or Wales by requesting a search (£) of the Central Index of Decrees Absolute. To do so, download Form D440 from Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service website and post it to the Principal Registry of the Family Division.

(Links to the form and the Principal Registry are embedded in the text)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 May 2013 12:11

Depends on which country - if Scotland then take a look here

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/divorce.asp

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 May 2013 13:44

As Michael is a new poster, I will send a friendly message on how to return to the thread. :-)