Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

find info in the US? (help appreciated)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 16 Oct 2012 13:37

Hi everyone

I don't have much experience in all these genealogy stuff. I only started so that I could find my only living relatives - which I have succeeded in doing (that's another story)

I have found out from the US 1860 census that my great grandmother was born in Syracuse (5th ward, New York State) Her Father was Irish and must have moved out there at some point. She returned to the UK and then married (I gathered this from UK census info)

But what I want to find out is where they lived in Syracuse? The address isn't on this census...or am I not using it correctly. Would it be on a birth certificate and if so how would I find that if it's USA. If they came back to the UK would any records help?

I am going over to the states soon and would like to go and see where they lived. I realise that it may not be standing now!

Again any help really appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Oct 2012 15:12

The street name and house numbers started to be recorded on US census records in 1870 so if the family were still living in Syracuse then you may be able to discover where they were living. It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss affair however as although the left hand vertical columns of the census form were provided for the purpose not all enumerators seem to have entered the details.

Ancestry has a database of UK incoming passengers but this only goes back to 1878.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Oct 2012 23:24

Why not give us details of the family and we can try to find out more.