Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestral Atlas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wend

Wend Report 4 Oct 2012 20:17

I came across this Family Tree mapping site earlier and thought it looked interesting. It gave the initial impression of being free, but having registered, of course it's not! £20 annual subscription.

Can anyone please advise me if it's worth it?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Oct 2012 23:55

What info does it profess to provide?

And what is the URL?

jax

jax Report 5 Oct 2012 00:28

Is this the one?

http://www.ancestralatlas.com/ancestral-atlas-genealogy-mapping-network.php

Wend

Wend Report 5 Oct 2012 10:49

Yes Jax, that's the one. Could you let me know what you think please.

Or Reggie?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Oct 2012 11:27

Had a quick look........all the info is added by subscribers, so may - or may not - be reliable.

Speaking ONLY for myself, I wouldn't bother with it..............

Have you looked at the FAQ's? Might be a good idea to do so.............

Wend

Wend Report 5 Oct 2012 11:58

Thanks Reggie, I shall do that.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Oct 2012 15:35

I have just been playing around with the site. There is a lot you can look at without registering. By moving round the map you can see details of all the events that have been added by other people, so if there are any in the places where your ancestors come from, it might be worth paying so that you can compare notes.

Most of the events are baptisms, marriages etc and most could probably be found on FreeBMD or Family Search. Personally, I shan't bother, but without joining, it is hard to tell whether it would be of real use.