Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sheila7

sheila7 Report 27 Sep 2012 14:32

Can anyone tell me where i will find the death registered for my uncle,He was killed and buried in America whilst serving with the merchant navy.Not had any forces deaths before, are they registered where they died .
Thanks for ant help Sheila

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 27 Sep 2012 15:12

If this was during wartime details will be on the CWGC site.

link http://www.cwgc.org/

Also Find my past has overseas deaths.

If you want to give name etc it can be looked at if you dont subscribe to FMP

George

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2012 15:20

Technically, he wasn't in the forces - Merchant Navy rather than Royal Navy.

When (roughly) did he die? If in WW2, you could see if he was listed on CWGC. There may also be a mention on findagrave or TWGP.

There is a military collection of WW2 deaths on this site, but it says they are for soldiers rather than sailors.

You could trying googling his name - as you believe he was killed rather than died, there migh be a newspaper article either here or in the USA

This link might help if he died at sea but buried on land.
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKDeathsAtSea.html

If you fancied giving some identifying details - name, yob, yod - we might be able to track something down for you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Sep 2012 15:31

Could be on the GRO Marine deaths lists on FMP

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2012 15:47

Sheila has found something on FMP - it was added to someone elses thread

sheila7 Report 27 Sep 2012 14:27

Shirley i have just been on FMP and entered name i was looking for in Merchant navy and it gave info plus a document to download didnt even have to click for free trial
Sheila

Is this a follow on to your FMP findings?

sheila7

sheila7 Report 27 Sep 2012 21:18

Sorry for long delay,this is a follow up to what i have found.all we had to go on was a story of my uncle being killed in USA whilst serving in the merchant navy.Have now found this to be true and have a photo of his grave.What i want to kmow is where or if i can get a copy of his death cert as we understand he was killed while traveling in a taxi that skidded on ice.Also to see if he was married as we have no other info on him.Hope this makes sense
Sheila
Joseph Yates born 1907 Rosrobin N Wales UK
Grave in Portmouth USA died 5.1 1942
Last shipped he served on was Canarvon Castle ( merchant navy )

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Sep 2012 21:31

looks like the death was recorded by the captain so a death cert was issued

Overseas registration event: Death

Name: YATES, Joseph
Vessel: H. M. S. Carnarvon Castle
Year: 1942
Page: 139A
Age at death: 35
Record source: GRO Marine Death Indices (1903 to 1965)

You can order it through the GRO specifying its an overseas death

sheila7

sheila7 Report 27 Sep 2012 23:01

Thanks for that Shirley have just ordered his death cert and a very kind member has just pm'd me a document that confirms he was killed in a motor accident,Things are now moving along good after pondering for about 5yrs where to start, wish id asked sooner as members are very helpfull on here,Big thanks to everyone
Sheila :-D