Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww2 cap badge identification help needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kath23

kath23 Report 22 Sep 2012 14:41

Hello Everyone,
I have a ww2 photo of my father in law and I am trying to identify which UK regiment he was in from his cap badge,does any one know of a good site were I can look through images of cap badges please ?
I have been trawling the internet for hours but I have found nothing like it.
thank you
kath

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Sep 2012 14:52

Can you scan the photo and send me an image?

I am a member of an ex-service Club where a lot of badges are on display, and may be able to match it to one of them.

It won't be until next weekend, though................

kath23

kath23 Report 22 Sep 2012 15:47

Thank you for the offer,I will pm you

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 22 Sep 2012 16:05

I suggest you google British Military Insignia.

kath23

kath23 Report 22 Sep 2012 18:22

Thank you Malcolm.
I have googled ww2 cap badges and looked at most I found but none look remotely similar
I just thought there may be a site I have not looked at
Thank you for your interest
Kath

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 22 Sep 2012 18:48

Hopefully Reggie and his ex service friends can help. An old RAF mate of mine was in the signals corps. Their badge was a bunch of three lightning bolts held in a fist. They used to refer to it as "clutching at straws"..appropriate as I also used to be in the radio business! Good luck.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Sep 2012 19:44

This site has quite a lot of badges listed:-

http://www.arbeia.demon.co.uk/srs/collect/badges/atoz1.htm

Kath. x

kath23

kath23 Report 22 Sep 2012 20:10

thank you kathleen,I will take a look

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Sep 2012 12:14

A good site for posting Regimental photos for identity purposes is ROOTSCHAT.

It is a genealogy forum, similar to the Community Boards on here, but no Trees or records.

It is FREE to join and many of us on here are also on there.

The one good thing is there are many 'themed' thread boards on there. I have some photos of German officers from WW2 (do not know where dad got them from!) and wanted some ID, posted parts of these photos, not only were the men identified but a date for the photos was also given, Brill... :-D

kath23

kath23 Report 24 Sep 2012 08:36

Thank you,I use Rootschat forum quite a lot with really good results but sadly this time I ave had very little interest

kath23

kath23 Report 16 Oct 2012 18:25

Just wanted to let the board know someone has identified the badge as the Kings Royal Rifle Corps Rangers Battalion.
Thank you for everyones interes