Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MV Defiance

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 12 Sep 2012 13:41

Hi I am trying to find out about the Merchant ship Defiance. My family were on board her at the time of the 1871 census. The Masters name was Thomas Mapplebeck/ Mapplebick. I have tried using Google but havent had much luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I would like to know more about the boat and what it was upto in 1871.

Thanks

Jane

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Sep 2012 14:40

Just to point out to other helpers that info on the Mapplebecks themselves has been found on Jane's other threads on Find Ancestors.

Jane, have you tried the National Archives?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-subject/merchant-ships.htm

EDIT: The Miramar shipping index shows that up to 1871 there were 5 different merchant ships called Defiance.

Jane

Jane Report 12 Sep 2012 14:46

Sorry I havent tried that website. I am new to this Merchant Navy I dont know where to find info about it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I put it on this boad because I was trying to find out about the ship not the person so I thought it belonged here instead.

Jane

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Sep 2012 14:48

Oh no, Jane - there's nothing wrong, it's just that people may have started looking the census up and posting them.

I've also just edited my post above.

Jane

Jane Report 12 Sep 2012 15:35

Thanks MarieCeleste.

I had a quick look at the National Archives site but couldnt find him there. I also had a quick look at the Miramar shipping index.

I will have to bookmark these sites for future reference

thanks for all your help

Jane