Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Tree Layout

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 1 Aug 2012 14:08

I've just renewed my subscription to Genes.......which means I have 6 months in which to transfer all the information elsewhere. Unless they put the colour back on, in which case hurrah!
Someone else wrote that the site looked naked which I think is a pretty good desription.
It'll be nice when it's finished?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Aug 2012 14:34

You can transfer your data in minutes by exporting your Gedcom

Roy

Angela

Angela Report 1 Aug 2012 14:47

Good point Roy, thanks for the reminder.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Aug 2012 16:19

I really like the new look, clean clear and not bogged down (Yet) with ads all over the place. I found the colours on the old site very overpowering.

Easy to use

Do not use tree on here so cannot comment on that, but reports so far seem positive.

Angela

Angela Report 2 Aug 2012 16:12

I agree that the boards seem fine, but I use the tree on this site far more than I use the boards and the look of the tree is very different. Too bright and not enough definition means it's unpleasant to use for more than a few minutes.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 2 Aug 2012 17:03

Why have genes removed the option for us to use the "old" tree? l really don't like this new lay-out. l know that some members do like it, but with the option we could decide for ourselves. Think l will contact them to complain.....but can't see that getting me anywhere.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Aug 2012 19:08

I think that to run 2 tree programmes would take up a lot of space on thier site and also could cause more problems such as occurred when running 2 before.

What they really need to do now it sort out any problems with the new tree and ensure it works to a suitable standard that will suit as many members as possible. Sadly no tree programme is perfect and will not suit everyone.

Whilst we do not think that they bother reading our complaints much surely if people have problems they should contact genes tell them exactly what their problem with the tree/site it. Unless they are told complaining on the threads does not really solve the problems, just allows members to vent their anger and frustration.

Me, my tree is on Ancestry - took it off here ages ago. Now only use the community boards - a much happier me :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Aug 2012 19:29

The color has been fixed.

# FBFBFB oy.

Archives

Archives Report 2 Aug 2012 20:12

New Tree layout far too bright it is painful on the eye..

Further more viewing other trees on dash board, I only have the top part of page; the navigator/slider is out of reach, to scroll down page

On the -My tree- page there is a icon to SEND FEEDBACK, again I am unable to do this, as to click send is out of view. ( only half a page ) navigator /slider is out of reach.
I have changed my screen settings to no avail.

I don’t understand your numbering system on tree.
Self should be numbered one , Father two, Mother three .

Is there an option to have surnames in capitol letters ?
It is advisable to have surnames in capitol letters as not to confuse surnames with forenames.
I.e.: Martin GEORGE, George MARTIN, William ROBERTS, Robert WILLIAMS

As member since Genes first set up, I will not be renewing my subscription or recommending it to class /group meetings.

Bring back the old tree.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Aug 2012 21:36

Archives, to view the tree dashboard in full use the zoom level on your browser at abt 75% until GR sort the problem out, same for feedback

the tree numbering? does this refer to the number in the purple star? if so its not a tree number, Its the number of matches for that name, when you click on it then a box will open telling you what matches their are, If you then click on one of the results eg, 5 record matches "view" then it will take you to those matches Note; before you click on "view" it helps if you allow pop ups from GR because this function requires you to allow pop ups from GR

It also help to have your browser set to compatibility view

For more info then like anything new it helps to read the instructions

you can find the updated instructions for the new tree in the FAQ section just click on the help tab then family tree Updates

Roy

Walt

Walt Report 3 Aug 2012 22:10

Tried complaining re brightness but apparently everyone else is happy.!I don't think GR give a fig for customer comments as they must be right. Customer care is not a concept that GR understand. Going downhill rapidly.