Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have anyone got this fustrating stuck feeling

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nanaki

Nanaki Report 22 Apr 2012 21:09

Where you tried to search for couple of people and you keep come to the wall and no where forward? Did you successfully got out and found people you have looked for?

I might have to order couple of birth certs for this certain people which annoyed me for couple of years with no lucks. But i was told that was the best way forward is to order the birth certs which is now expensive to pay for!

Thank you. :-|

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Apr 2012 22:09

If as you say it has been a problem for a couple of years and certs being expensive?

Have you ever thought of putting money aside on a weekley basis, say £1 or even 50p

even the 50p per week would pay for 5 cert in 2 years

If you buy through the GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Apr 2012 22:26

If you'd ordered the certs when you started ( a couple of years ago) they'd have been a lot cheaper than they are now

If someone asks what you want for a birthday present - say you'd like money to help towards getting the cert(s) you need

Have you asked on these boards for help with finding info about these people?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Apr 2012 01:42

a certificate costs £9.25 when you buy it from GRO, through the site that PorkiePie gave you

Never ever buy from anywhere else.

and, yes, we ALL have to buy certificates to prove we are following the correct families.

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 23 Apr 2012 09:45

But we don't all have the same income.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Apr 2012 10:49

£9.25 is just slightly more than a packet of cigarettes,

I fail to see how any one in this country could not afford to save this amount in a couple of weeks,

Most people i no who are not in work and live on benefits still can afford their fags

Genealogy for most people is a hobby, and it's relatively cheap compared to some hobbies,

I follow formula 1 and would love to be involved but because i cannot afford the millions it cost to have my own team i have to live with this fact

That's life

Roy

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 23 Apr 2012 13:03

"£9.25 is just slightly more than a packet of cigarettes,

I fail to see how any one in this country could not afford to save this amount in a couple of weeks,

Most people i no who are not in work and live on benefits still can afford their fags

Genealogy for most people is a hobby, and it's relatively cheap compared to some hobbies"

Hi Roy :)

I do think your statement that you fail to see how anyone in this country can't save this money in a couple of weeks may be a tad naive.

Not everyone who is struggling smokes whether they work or are on benefit. You may have experiences where your friends on benefits smoke but this is by no means universal. I've also seen statements on other sites where people are skipping 2 meals a day because they are that much in debt so it would not be feasible for them to save just over £9 for a hobby.

I've actually heard respected members state that genealogy can be an expensive hobby and I think they are probably correct in this. It just depends on how far you take it.

Hope you achieve your dream one day :-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 23 Apr 2012 13:09

Try living on a pension Roy.
Even non smokers struggle unless they are lucky enough to have a reasonable private pension to supplement the state one & even then, bills & food have to be priorities.
I can imagine OH´s face if I said we couldn´t put petrol in the car this week because I have bought a couple of certificates.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2012 13:34

Roy I can't actually save that in a couple of weeks...there is more money going out than is coming in and aside from food it is going on utilities, bills etc. I don't smoke, drink. run a car or go out lol, and I have cut my internet bill to a minimum.

But it's a good idea to ask people for birthday money to buy a cert (if it isn't spent on buying an essential that is).

Genealogy can be expensive, especially if you don't have 'luck' on your side...I was lucky to have London rellies lots of baptisms etc online..and lots of family info already.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Apr 2012 13:39

I totaly disagree with £9.25 being out of reach for people in this county,

I am not rolling in it, I have had to go without

I have had to save to be able to pay my bills

I never even got so much as a new pair of socks until i where old enough to work and pay for them myself,

I have had to work 70 plus hours a week for most of my life, wonder how many can say that

I have, as suggested in my first post had to save as little as 50p per week and less to save for some thing that i needed let alone something i wanted,

I don't need to be told what poverty is, I lived it when i was younger,

People in today's society think they no what poverty is, May be they have short memories?

Bottom line is

Anyone who can afford a PC and Internet cannot be that poor

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2012 13:51

One year's GR sub costs more than two UK certs

This discussion, however, is all academic, as the OP hasn't bothered to return

BTW - I'm an OAP, without the benefit of an OH's income to add to mine

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2012 13:56

You are correct on that Roy, internet would be 'disposable' (where it not that I use it for work.... )

it is not 'poverty' in the same sense as it used to be (ie no food, no shoes etc) for most... no one needs either a PC, internet OR certificates..

There are many many people 'just getting by' who may in truth be able to save 50p a week.... UNTIL something unexpected happens like the roof leaking, or the boiler getting too old to be repaired, or travelling to be with an ill relative.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 23 Apr 2012 14:10

"fail to see how any one in this country could not afford to save this amount in a couple of weeks,"

Your statement was not about people using the internet, it was about anyone in the country. Besides, not every one who uses the internet owns their own pc. There are people that use this site via the library.

Your suggestion about saving 50p per week in my opinion was a very good one, it was saving £9.25 in 2 weeks that I took issue with.

I didn't think we were discussing poverty either, only priorities i.e. some people would not be able to save that amount as they had other priorities such as food and bills.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Apr 2012 14:16

My post "fail to see how any one in this country could not afford to save this amount in a couple of weeks,"

Was in addition to my other post's on this thread

Roy

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 23 Apr 2012 14:18

Yes, i could see that Roy :-) However, I still disagreed with it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2012 14:35

The point is surely that we are all in very individual circumstances and inevitably have different priorities ... the person who is a carer for someone else will be on a very limited income, a pensioner who has paid off their mortgage will be in a different position to that of a pensioner who is having to pay rent, whereas someone who is at work 'may ' have a small or large amount of disposable cash at the end of the month...or none at all.

wisechild

wisechild Report 23 Apr 2012 14:39

I already save a couple of euros per week towards the cost of Ancestry membership. Only have basic on Genes & internet is via dial up because I can´t afford broadband.
OH has been out of work for 4 years (nothing unusual in Spain) & doesn´t get his pension for another 3, so we are living on around €1000 per month, out of which we pay around €700 in rent & bills. Nothing left for non essentials.
Haven´t been back to England for almost 4 years .
Please don´t tell me I can afford to buy certs if I save up.
I´m not complaining. Things are as they are & when I retired 7 years ago, we couldn´t have foreseen ending up in this situation.We just have to sit it out & hope things will eventually get better.
In the meantime we both need around €200 worth of dental treatment which couldn´t have been anticipated or saved for.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 23 Apr 2012 14:40

Have to agree Rose, there's also people with children who may always put their children before themselves.

I remember your conversation the other week about your son pointing out that you needed to buy a new pair of slippers for yourself as you always put other priorities/people first.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Apr 2012 14:40

That's how i see it Rose,

It's more about priorities and the choices we make

Roy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 Apr 2012 14:46

I am also an OAP, but in the fortunate position of having enough spare cash to buy the occasional certificate.

One certificate at £9.25 isn't too bad, but quite often it is necessary to buy more than that because it isn't possible to tell whether you have the right person from the BMD entry.

Two for £18.50 is too much and as for three at £27.75........

RamblingRose - I totally agree with your last post.