Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Institutions on the Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 25 Nov 2011 15:05

I have been looking at the 1888 census today (on GR), and the person I was looking for was listed as an inmate of an institution. There was nothing at the top of the page to indicate what the institution was (workhouse?). I used the "previous" button at the top of the page in an attempt to find out from previous
pages but I went back so many pages that it finally didn't allow me to go back any more. Can I assume that this was a workhouse, or is there something else it could have been?

Adeline

Adeline Report 25 Nov 2011 15:09

If you give the details, someone else might be able to find out for you.

Christine

Christine Report 25 Nov 2011 15:17

Thank you Adeline. It was William Hayward c1859. Born Heston, Middlesex.

Adeline

Adeline Report 25 Nov 2011 15:24

There is a William Hayward in the Union Workhouse, Kingston, Surrey

HAYWARD, William Inmate Single 21 1860 Gen Laborer
Hampton, Middlesex

Christine

Christine Report 25 Nov 2011 15:28

Thank you! He is in Heston later in life, so I have misread Hampton for Heston I think. I couldn't believe how many pages there were of inmates - poor souls. Your help is much appreciated.

Adeline

Adeline Report 25 Nov 2011 15:33

www.workhouses.org.uk/Kingston/

This will give you information about the workhouse.

Christine

Christine Report 25 Nov 2011 15:47

Bless you Adeline!

Christine

Christine Report 25 Nov 2011 15:55

Adeline I have now looked at the workhouse link you gave me. William would have been in the 1868 building, now part of Kingston Hospital where I was born! If it isn't the actual building, it is very close to it!

Adeline

Adeline Report 25 Nov 2011 16:19

That's some coincidence!