Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1951 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 29 Sep 2011 20:44

I know that uk censuses aren't published for 100 years but is it possible to go somewhere to search the 1951 census? (for uk/Ireland)I am trying to find my Irish/American father but there are several people with the same name both here/America /Ireland even Australia. If I could just find out which one he was I could follow his family tree-I was born in may 1952 so he should show up in the 1951 census-which month was it done? It is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It is so frustrating.I'm spending many hours(and money!) tracing perhaps the wrong person/family. My mother died many years ago and was ashamed of being an unmarried mother in the 1950's so wouldn't talk about it. She did say she loved him and thought he would marry her. Time is running out-he may still be alive and I could meet him/his family or even just to see his photo and find out about his life would mean so much to me. I have posted his name on living relatives. Thankyou for any help -Pauline

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Sep 2011 20:58

Sorry Pauline but under current legislation the 1951 census will not be available to view anywhere for another 40 years.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Sep 2011 21:00

Quote from google search:

The 1921 census and all later censuses remain in the custody of the Office for National Statistics and not The National Archives. No information will be available from these censuses for 100 years after the date they were conducted.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2011 05:54

is there a chance that a searcxh of an electoral roll will work???

but then, you have to know where he was living

Pauline

Pauline Report 30 Sep 2011 20:25

Thankyou for your help-how do I search the 1951/1952 electoral roll for England/Wales? I'm having problems finding it-Pauline

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Sep 2011 22:14

Pauline, you have to know the address. Electoral registers for this period are not online. They are normally kept at the nearest main library for the area.
The other problem is unless he was a British citizen he will not be on there anyway as not entitled to vote.
jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Sep 2011 22:18

Have you tried looking for matches on here? Quite possible he married at some point and has descendants. You never know!
Jan

Bob

Bob Report 31 Oct 2011 23:13

You have to know where he was living at that time. Where were you born? maybe he was in your area 9 months before! what does it say on your birth cert:?

Bob

Bob Report 31 Oct 2011 23:14

Do any of your Mums Sisters or Brothers know his name ?

jax

jax Report 31 Oct 2011 23:34

I think Pauline knows his name Bob as she already mentioned she had a thread on find living relatives

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1271534