Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 13 Jul 2010 20:18

Is it possible to search the birth records using the mothers maiden name as a parameter?
I know both parents names, birth, marriage, & death details. I know they had 2 children but I don't know the childrens 1st names.
I thought if I could searching using the family name and the mothers maiden name I would find the children

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 13 Jul 2010 20:23

Depends - if the years you want are on freeBMD and from Sept qtr 1912 then Yes
they have the easiest search engine

MB

Graham

Graham Report 13 Jul 2010 20:29

Thanks Mummy Bear. I've just tried searching using 'all districts' & 'all counties' between the relevant dates with no result. Am I to assume the births weren't registered ????

Graham

Graham Report 13 Jul 2010 20:33

Family name is - NEWTON
Mothers maiden name is - JUDGES
Marriage was in 1947
Both parents died in 1981
Mum was born in 1926

assuming freebmd has these details why do I get no trace?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 13 Jul 2010 20:38

Not all registers have yet been transcribed on Freebmd.

If you give the forenames and probable districts I will check to see whether they appear on Ancestry.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jul 2010 20:40

Births in 1940s are just a little too late for freebmd at the moment.
Will send pm

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 13 Jul 2010 20:44

The children of George and Melena.

Sent PM

Graham

Graham Report 13 Jul 2010 21:36

Jonesey & Gwyn
Just read the PMs you sent, exactly the result I wanted thanks v much for your assistance

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Jul 2010 21:38

Graham - you can do a search on Ancestry. Since you haven't paid for a sub, it won't show all the details (you might have to do a free reg first). It will show the kids names - I forget what details are omitted.

You can buy the records thru Ancestry - they make a 100+% mark up for placing the order for you - anyway, click on the shopping basket and you'll see extra details of the record, but maybe not full details. (Close that window, unless you're real keen on paying double.) If there are omitted details, then you can look up an image of the original page thru 1983 on FreeBMD. Their "View Images" interface is quite kludgy, but it's free:
http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

If you hover over Ancestry's "view image" link, you can see their image ID embedded in the URL in your status bar at bottom of your browser - e.g.:
iid=ons_b19494az-0909 (maybe the = sign is given in hex as %3d)

The b19494 bit indicates it's a birth, year=1949, quarter=4. The image # within this series =909 isn't helpful for FreeBMD lookups so far as I can tell.