Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

stuck completly

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nadine

Nadine Report 10 Jun 2009 20:06

Got my grandmothers birth cert and show line where father details should be, on her marriage cert it shows edward robinson deceased veternary surgeon, she has same surname as her mother, could she have been born out of wedlock as cannot find any edward robinson, he was supposed to have died just before she was born but i trawled through death records but to no avail, also my grand mothers name was mrytle edna cundall then surname robinson, we were always led to believe that her father was edward cundall but i cannot trace him either, any ideas as where i could go with this.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 20:13

If no fathers name is shown on the birth certificate, then she was illegitimate, this was far more common than you might imagine.

Very often, they would invent a father who was deceased and name him on the wedding certificate, as a way of saving face. having said that, a vet is rather an odd occupation to invent.

If non of the parties are alive, if you could post the full information, names, dates, places etc, then we can look and see if we can help

Kate

Kate Report 10 Jun 2009 20:32

I'd agree with Linda, particularly as the story you have been given is that the father died before Myrtle's birth - maybe Myrtle grew up believing this because her mother didn't want to admit that she'd had a child outside marriage?

I suppose the other possibility is that her father was Edward Robinson, a vet, and her mother told her this but the father and mother never married.

Perhaps Myrtle told her future husband that she was the child of Edward and (mother's name) Robinson and that Edward had died, so her mum married Mr. Cundall and Myrtle conveniently took his name?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 20:41

Unless Nadine comes back to the thread,there is nothing that can be done to help her

Nadine

Nadine Report 10 Jun 2009 20:46

Sorry i am new to this and i think i have replied directly to linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 20:48

Your message has only just arrived now, it is best to post it on here,so evryone can help

I will paste it on

my grand mother was myrtle edna cundall robinson dob 14/2/1912, born ispswich surrey. Her mother was Esther Robinson dob 1879 born reigate surrey. She married if we got correct esther Robinson james mayhew dob 1879 churt surrey, they married 1900 reigate, then after that we have nothing, we are also lead to believe that mytle and esther left uk for canada in 1912, and retuned around 1922, but i cannot find this either. I am begining to think it was all made up. Edward Robinson deceased 19211/1912 but nothing else known

I will see what I can find

Linda

Nadine

Nadine Report 10 Jun 2009 20:50

Myrtle edna cundall robinson born 14/2/1912 ipswich surrey. Mother Esher Robinson born 1879 reigate surrey, but looks like if we have correct Esther Robinson she married James Mayhew in 1900 and then we have nothing after that. We are also led to believe that myrtle and Esther left the uk for canada in 1912/1913 and retd in 1922ish. But again checking records nothing, We were told that Esther married a edward cundall in cananda he came back to uk where he was kill in 1911/1912 before myrtle was born but i cannot find any records. Do overseas keep any records??? tried the migration but the Esther recorded their i am sure with her family is not my Esther but that is only if mums infor on her is correct

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 20:52

OK, so this was th birth record you got

Name: Myrtle E C Robinson
Year of Registration: 1912
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's Maiden Name: Robinson
District: Ipswich
County: Suffolk
Volume: 4a
Page: 1984

If her mother was not married in 1912 when Myrtle was born, how could she have married James Mayhew in 1900?

Nadine

Nadine Report 10 Jun 2009 20:56

That is where we are stuck, my mum thinks she found a death for him, but there is two Esther Robinsons, searching on them both my mum is sure that we have correct one due to the occupation of Esthers fathers and some of the names of her brothers and sisters. Where he came into it i am not sure, we seem to keep opening can of worms. Jame mayhew born 1879 churt surrey.

Choccy

Choccy Report 10 Jun 2009 21:04

Possible

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Esther Robinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Date of Arrival: 24 May 1912
Vessel: Empress of Britain
Search Ship Database: View the 'Empress of Britain' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4785

travelling with 6 month old infant to her married sister in Hamilton

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 21:08

I have been looking at the shipping records, but can't find them

Two things don't make sense
1. You say Esther Robinson married James Mayhew in 1900. So how could her name have been Robinson in 1912?

2. You say Esther and Myrtle went out to Canada in 1912/13. Esther married Edward Cundall there, but he died in 1911/12. That is before they went out????

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 21:09

That looks good Choccy, I had been looking for Myrtle.

Esther's occupation is given as cook

Nadine

Nadine Report 10 Jun 2009 21:13

This is what is not adding up. My grandmother always told us she was born in canada but i found her birth registered here. She also told us she retd to england when she was about 12 and the voyage back was awful and she never forgot it!!! Her mother went to canada met her Edward over there, he came back to england to tell his parents he married but was killed. I think you are correct and he may be a made up father, but my gran was adamant about being in canada but i cannot find her on records, my head hurts trawling through it all, i found the infor choccy and posted and my mum is sure she is the wrong esther

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2009 21:38

Do you have Esther on a census? I can't see her. how do you know that se was born in Reigate?
I can see an Esther Robinson b 1879 Ipswich Suffolk in 1891 and 1901, working as a servant in London. In 1901 she was a cook

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Jun 2009 01:22

When did Myrtle die and under what surname? Did she have any siblings?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Jun 2009 01:24

There's an Esther Robinson in Ipswich in 1911 and an Edward Cundall. They are both in an institution, but not the same one.

Edward was born Pocklington, Yorks in 1874.

You'll need credits to discover more.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Jun 2009 01:27

Is this her death?

England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005
about Myrtle Edna Milton
Name: Myrtle Edna Milton
Birth Date: 14 Feb 1912
Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 2000
Age at death (estimated): 88
Registration district: North Yorkshire
Inferred County: North Yorkshire
Register number: L4
District and Subdistrict: 6501L
Entry number: 191

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Jun 2009 01:58

This looks to be the 1911 Esther in 1891:

1891 England Census
about Esther Robinson
Name: Esther Robinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Elizah
Mother's Name: Ellen
Where born: Ipswich, Suffolk, England

Civil parish: St Mary Stoke
Ecclesiastical parish: Stoke St Mary
Town: Ipswich
County/Island: Suffolk
Registration district: Ipswich
Sub-registration district: Ipswich Western
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Household Members:
Name Age
Elizah Robinson 38
Ellen Robinson 37
Esther Robinson 12
Albert Robinson 11
William Robinson 10
Beatrice Robinson 9
Ernest Robinson 5
Charles Robinson 4

Rose

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Jun 2009 07:03

Using Choccy's info at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-130-e.html
we can drill down to get
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e144/e003578213.jpg

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 11 Jun 2009 09:13

That image is the one we found before, but Nadine thinks tha tit is the wrong person

Linda