Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crossing out on 1911 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 9 Feb 2009 23:26

Does anyone know what it means when members of a household have been crossed out on the 1911 censu?

I have a copy of my Gt grandparents household in 1911.
It states that they have been married 27 years, had 9 children of which 2 have died.

Under the list of names in the household are the names of 4 other children, two of which are the infants who died (as it states this), then there are 2 older daughters, one still single the other shown as married (which I know to be fact - she was married in 1908). All 4 entries are crossed out.

I can understand the names been there to complete the list of their children, but the first born child is not listed at all or counted in with the numbers of children they have.

Now I think the reason for this, is that Annie was my gt grandmother's child and not her husband (my gt grandfather's). The census does state, children born to the marriage so that would make sense, however, the daughter who is listed and crossed out as being married, was also a daughter to my gt grandmother and not to my gt grandfather, so why would she be listed and not her older sister?

I calculate that the total number of children (of which I can trace) is 10, 8 to the marriage - 7 living, 2 dead, and one missing off the list.

Why would they be added and then crossed out?

Also, the section on the census for Infirmity has been blanked off (big white boarder where details should be). Is this for privacy until 2011 do you think? I wonder if anything was written there.

Oppinions would be appreciated.

Dee

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 9 Feb 2009 23:50

Dee

The children that had died should not have been listed by name - only living children who were residing in the home at the time of the census should be listed. The one that was married was probably not living at home at the time.

The person who filled in the census probably realised the error and so crossed out the names.

My grandparents had my father and two of his brothers listed on the census and then had crossed them out. They were marked down as soldiers so I am assuming that they were living away from home at the time and had been entered in error.

Moonbeam.

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 9 Feb 2009 23:54

Thankyou Moonbeam, that makes sense, my gt grandfather put 3 bedrooms & 2 living rooms in the section for number of rooms in the house, this was crossed out and replaced with a "5".

Thanks again
Dee

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2009 06:33

my grandfather listed himself, 2 children and his father-in-law on the 1911, but f-i-l Oliver was shown as Boarder, not a relative. I did already "know" him ......... but would not have connected him as f-i-l if I hadn't!

Then Oliver's name and the whole entry for him was crossed out, and there was another enumeration sheet filled out for him ......... but the address was the same as my grandfather's house!

There is no evidence as to who crossed out the entry or who did the new sheet.

Logically, he should have been included on the first sheet .............. as all relatives, boarders and lodgers were to be included!!

The blanked out column is where the "delicate" information might be found ............ the information on there will not be released until the 100 years are up. Early 2012 is the projected date for release of ALL informaiton on the 1911. However, don't assume that because it is whitened out that there will automatically be something there for your amily. I think they will just have placed a cover down that column on all enumeration sheets.

sylvia