Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Credits!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 11:57

I have read yet again someone telling a newbie not to buy credits from GR. Having done this for the last few years and having quite alot of success locating people, alI I am annoyed about is that I have never been asked to update to the "Gold" as it would have saved me a lot of money.Because I was happy doing my own thing and didn`t bother to click on Community I had no idea of all the gripes about this Site.I have never been keen on Ancesters mainly because I didn`t want to subsidise the Ld.S`s lifestyle.Have been mulling over "Find my Past" but is it really nescessary to be a member of so many different Sites? Would appreciate someones opinion.Jay

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Nov 2008 12:03

Hi

If you do alot of research it is actually cheaper to join Ancestry.co.uk as you have unlimited access to all the census 1841 - 1901 plus BMD, Military, passenger lists etc etc just for £80 a year, its alot cheaper than buying individual credits

I've used it for 10 years & find it the best research site by far

Sandra

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 12:12

Thanks, Is that the only one other website you use besides this?I just don`t want to have a load of Sites on the go or I shall get in a muddle.
Jay

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Nov 2008 12:17

Hi

Thats the main paying website i use daily.

Others are free
familysearch.com
I also google names which occassionally takes you to a tree that someone has done.

You can get a free 2 week trial with ancestry, try it & see what you think.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Nov 2008 12:24

Hi Julie and Sandra

I've used credits from GR when I first started, they get used up pretty quickly especialy looking on census records but it was useful at the time.
At the moment I'm thinking about joining Ancestry but it's a lot of money in one go, I did use the 2 week free trial which was useful for census and military records.

x

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Nov 2008 12:35

Yvonne

I think you can pay monthly on ancestry

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 12:36

That is another problem -Ancestery really is expensive especially if your only credit card is pretty limited. I suppose small amounts do add up though. I also really have a problem with the fact it is run by the Mormon Church and having seen negative news in my country-polygamy, child marriages and abuse??????? Am I thinking round corners that aren^t there? Jay

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 12 Nov 2008 12:45

I buy credits on findmypast and it suits me as my main searches are the census and GRO Indexes.

Cassidy

Cassidy Report 12 Nov 2008 12:54

It all depend's on how much research you intend to do.You could sign up to Ancestry for the 14 day's and then if you feel more research is needed...sign up for a month for £10.50 .

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Nov 2008 13:00

Although I have a suspicion that Ancestry is linked to the Morman Church,I cannot recollect ever seeing proof?

Cassidy

Cassidy Report 12 Nov 2008 13:05

Don't really see Julia's point as we're all just trying to find info on our familie's and every site is welcome.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Nov 2008 13:06

Isn't a GR Gold subscription cheaper than Ancestry?

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 13:07

hi,
I have done an awful lot already and I don`t want a huge tree,I love to know who each and everyone was what they did for a living etc.Have a few knotty problems to solve though....Didn`t realise I could sign up like that,It would make it easier,thankyou so much. I must have had my head in the sand before.
Jay

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Nov 2008 13:07

I think the Mormon LDS site is brill and it's free!!!

Annx

Annx Report 12 Nov 2008 13:16

Don't forget Ancestry is free on the local library computers and it is free to join the library.

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Nov 2008 14:43

I do not use GR Gold so cannot comment on it.
Just to say that £34.95 includes GR membership.

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 15:15

The gold would quite suit me as I`d love having all Census on tap. mymain argument has been: Is the GR. Website a good place to be a member of as I got the impression people were feeling a bit dissatisfied but,...only since I have started reading the boards?.If I hadn`t seen the comment(s) I wouldn`t have wondered?What always has bugged me is the tree building and not being able to delete my mistakes.Thankee kindly for your all the advice I have had.Jay

snowfairy

snowfairy Report 12 Nov 2008 16:02

Your welcome,glad I rolled my thoughts out,
Jay

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Nov 2008 16:09

GR Gold does NOT cover the Scottish census but Ancestry does

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 12 Nov 2008 16:43

Take a free trial with ancestry and see how you like it wait until you have time to concentrate and bear in mind they presently have problems with the Full Bmd.