Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry website - not responding

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chellie

Chellie Report 26 May 2008 14:42

Everytime I try and view an image on Ancestry internet explorer stops and I get the Not Responding message. Its getting annoying - I've paid for a years subcription!

Has anyone got any ideas why this is happening or how I can stop it? I've got Norton Antivirus on my computer.

Thank you!

Michelle

immy

immy Report 26 May 2008 14:45

It's been happening to me too Michelle for a couple of days now and I don't know why.
Most frustrating!!

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 May 2008 14:48

It was certainly very slow for me yesterday too.

But then my whole computer and internet connection was going slow yesterday so I've just backed up loads of files onto discs, removed them from the computer and defragged.
I think some of the problem may also be a wet Bank Holiday and lots of people using the Internet.

Sue

Chellie

Chellie Report 26 May 2008 14:54

Thank you Imelda and Sue, it least its not just me, hopefully it will clear up after the bank holiday.

Michelle

Maureen

Maureen Report 26 May 2008 15:22

I agree with Sue in Somerset. I would be in the garden if it wasn't raining! Instead I have been sitting at the computer for the past 4 hours and everything I try seems slooooow!!

Maureen

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 26 May 2008 16:14

Complain, complain, complain, EVERY time it happens fill in the moans form and send it to Ancestry please.
The more reports they get the better, its an annoying ongoing problem that they need to address.before they start losing our support,

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 26 May 2008 18:07

Hi Michelle,

I have heard that the Norton confidential browser object causes conflicts with Ancestry and if you disable that just for Ancestry it works ok.

I don't have Norton so cannot try it.

Ancestry is working ok for me.

Christine

Chellie

Chellie Report 26 May 2008 18:26

Thank you!

Christine -do you have any idea how I disable it just for ancestry?

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 26 May 2008 18:38

I,m at my wits end with it , it refuses to download original images , just freezes. I don,t have Norton .I have sent them an e-mail saying I dont pay my subscription for this ...
Kim

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 26 May 2008 18:40

Hi Michelle,

If you take a look at this site it tells you how to do it, but I think that will be for all sites, not good if you have to disable it every time you use Ancestry and then enable it again.

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/NortonProblems

Hope that helps

Christine

Chellie

Chellie Report 26 May 2008 18:40

I'll send them an email too, I thought it must be Norton, but if it doesn't work for Kim either then it might not be.

Michelle

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 26 May 2008 18:49

Michelle , I paid £6.50 for 12 credits on world view as I,m looking for a couple of people in my tree who went to Canada . Couldn,t download original document but they still deducted the credits !
GRRRRR
:)))
Kim

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 26 May 2008 20:07

No problems whatsoever - I don't have Norton, and use the Safari browser.

*~Amanda G~*

*~Amanda G~* Report 26 May 2008 22:04

Glad Im not the only one with this problem. Clicked on image and it just flashed. I emailed them Saturday and they gave the same reply like Joys.

Followed it exactly word for word and hey presto it worked. Tried again this evening and guess what not working again - so annoying. Guess I'll have to email them again. I tried disabling Norton and no difference

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 26 May 2008 22:44

Well Joy has had more joy than me when it comes to responses from Ancestry. All I get is the usual blah-blah email that I have to respond to within 72 hours if the problems still occur - and then hear nothing at all!

Was going to try the suggestion Joy passed on - but then saw Amanda's reply. lol

Maybe we shall all start demanding refunds for the times we cant use Ancestry.

Ryan

Ryan Report 26 May 2008 22:53

Yes Michelle that has been happening to me the screen just crashes.

If anyone has this problem and knows how to solve it please tell me as I am getting very tired of closing and restarting Internet Explorer.

I have XP.

Thank you

Yvonne

*~Amanda G~*

*~Amanda G~* Report 27 May 2008 14:04

Just tried again on Ancestry.co.uk and no luck, thought I'd try Ancestry.com and it works - have no idea why it should work on one and not the other.

Thought it was my computer playing up but this disproves that theory. Im on Vista and AOL.

Fingers crossed!!!

Newby Kim

Newby Kim Report 27 May 2008 20:01

Ancestry is now working for me ...original images are now downloading ..no problem
Shame I,m back at work ..:)))
Kim

h0tp0t1

h0tp0t1 Report 27 May 2008 20:52

Is this still on going? Norton user need not bother with Ancestry, unless they are computer techs? I was thinking about joining, is there any other good and user friendly sites?

Trish

Chellie

Chellie Report 28 May 2008 06:56

Its still not working!!

I tried removing the Enhanced Image Viewer as recomended by Joy but it still doesn't work, just keeps freezing.

Time to complain again i think!