Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The dates dont tally by two years...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:32

I am trying to find a little information about my grandmothers brother (the name my dad could'nt remember, as he died before my dad was born). But by finding out dates of other siblings and sheer guesswork I have come up with a name. I have found his birth and also his death, but the dates dont tally by two years although everything else does.

What do you make of this?

Florence Mary Rimmel born 1909
(Ethel) Irene Rimmel born 1905

Ernest George Rimmel born 1907
0/N/D 4 Qtr

Ernest G Rimmel died 1918
J/A/S 3rd Qtr Aged 13

Even my maths aren't that bad that he should have been 11 and not 13.

Have I totally got the wrong person or can there be descrepences like this?

Plus, how can I find out if I have got the right name in the first place? All I am going on are the name and place of birth.

I am very new to this hobby and any tips on checking and double checking to make sure you have the right person would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Trace

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 22:36

Guessing isn't really a good idea....although it sometimes pays off.

Start with what you are sure of..........

Who is your grandmother?

In which country were these births?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 22:42

OK....found the death reg

Name: Ernest G Rimell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Year of Registration: 1918
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 13
District: Worcester
County: Hereford and Worcester, Worcestershire
Volume: 6c
Page: 144

Matching birth...........

Name: Ernest George Rimell
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Upton Upon Severn
County: Worcestershire
Volume: 6c
Page: 315

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:48

Where did you find all of that information Reggie? The only information that I have is this:

1918 July August September
Rimmel Ernest G Age 13 Worcester 6c 144

Am I on the wrong website that doesnt give all the information?

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:49

It has taken me AAAAAALL day to find out that information...and you have just done that in literally minutes!

Where am I going wrong in looking, and what are the tips on finding things that quick?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 22:51

Ernest George Rimell (1907) was born in Stow on the Wold district........

Florence Mary (1909) was born in Pershore district

Ethel Irene (1905) was born in Stow district

You can't proceed with any hope of accuracy without getting certs, to establish parents' details.

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:52

Do you think that I have the right brother to:

Florence Mary Rimell b 1909
(Ethel) Irene Rimell b 1905

I guessed and looked inbetween the two of these, and came up with Ernest, do you think I have the right person?

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:53

HOW DID YOU DO THAT???? It has taken me forever to get all that info...please let me in on your secrets (and websites)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 22:54

I've been doing it for a while, Tracey.........lol!

Which of the females was your grandmother?

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:55

Is there a tab somewhere that I am missing seeing that gives siblings names?

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:55

Flo was my grandmother.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 22:55

I got all the info from the transcribed records on Ancestry....they are taken from freebmd.

So, looking at freebmd will give you the same results...........I just happen to prefer the search facility on Ancestry - probably because I'm used to it.

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 22:58

And also, how did you get that information without names? I am in awe.

I also have a brothers name missing on my grandfathers side too, and I havent a clue how to find him.

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 23:01

Well I have subsribed to ancestry too, but I have been going through each and every record of each quarter to find what I think I need.

I have literally gone through 20 years x 4 quarters plus for one piece of info, and I still havent found it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 23:02

The probability is that Ernest (1907) was a brother, in view of the fact that his birth was registered in the same district as the elder sister..........assuming, of course, that she is definitely Flo's sister.

If Ernest died before your father was born, there is still quite a time-span to cover...........

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 23:09

For bmd up to about 1920, just enter the name in the main search box..............don't use the qtr by qtr search of images............

For events after 1911, enter the full first forename, plus initials only for any other forenames......

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 23:16

I am so confused now (it doesnt take much). All the stuff that I have spent hours on may all be wrong as I am not sure of Ethel Irene either. I probably have the wrong family altogether. Dad remembers and Auntie Rene, and she married a Sleet and had a cafe in Kidderminster.

What positive proof can I go on?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 May 2008 23:23

You need to start with what you KNOW.............your father's name.

Do you have his birth cert?

When was he born?

What were the names of his parents?

Look for their marriage............get the cert.

It will tell you their ages at the time, plus the names and occupations of each of their fathers.

You could also look for the marriage of the aunt...it would tell you her correct first name.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 14 May 2008 23:26

I've just nudged up your previous thread Tracey as some of the findings on there may be relevant and I'd hate anyone to spend time looking things up twice.

Sue

Tracey

Tracey Report 14 May 2008 23:31

I already had the names and dates of both my grandparents, birth dates, death dates and their marriage. I am currently awaiting delivery of their marriage certificate (hopefully tomorrow), but where to go then I am only guessing. I havent even been at this for a week yet, and I am almost ready to give up as (even with help from very kind people as yourself), I'm hopeless at this.