Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP PLEASE

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 12:41

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT YEAR A RELATIVE EMIGRATED TO AUSTRALIA
I HAVE HIS DEATH CERT FROM BATHURST NSW AUSTRALIA IN 1965
BUT NEED TO KNOW WHEN HE WENT THERE
HIS NAME WAS RAYMOND RYLAH BORN 1924 DEWSBURY WEST YORKSHIRE
I KNOW HE LEFT ANYTIME FROM 1959 TO WHEN HE DIED THERE 1965
ANY HELP GREATLY APRECIATED

THANKS PAULA

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Feb 2008 12:57

Hi Paula, The NSW State Library has an 'Ask a Librarian' service (query form on-line) they will check their records including electoral rolls. Just checked National Australian Archives - saw this: Raymond Rylah b 24/10/24, Evelyn (nee Nicholson) b11/7/23 Patricia b1945 John 1947 Pamela b1958 ... dep UK 31/1/62 .. 'ORONSAY' ........ .Valerie

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 13:31

This is the full entry:

RYLAH Raymond John born 24 October 1924... [names of possibly living relatives deleted]; travelled per ORONSAY departing UK on 31 January 1962 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

It means that they all travelled together on a ship called the Oronsay which left the UK on 31/1/62.

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 13:33

THANKS MARY
THIS IS GREAT I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD FIND OUT WHAT YEAR HE LEFT
COULD YOU TELL ME IS EVELYN DOWN AS RYLAH
AND THE CHILDREN
THANKS PAULA

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Feb 2008 13:36

Hi - 'Yes' looks like his family all went together. Check the 'National Australian Archives' -n-line - you'll see the full names and dob for the chn. ......... The RYERSON INDEX - on-line has NSW death notices (from newspapers )- from about 1977 -to present day - they do 'look-ups' for family names etc -you MAY find news of Evelyn. ...Valerie (WA)

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 13:43

HI

thanks for that yes i will look at the sites you mention
thanks so much all i have to find is there marriage over here in england
thanks so much
regards paula

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Feb 2008 13:52

Hi Paula .... There's no record of Evelyn's death -have checked RYERSON's INDEX & NSW BMD.......Valerie

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 15:33

You can search NSW births, marriages and deaths here:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

Raymond John Rylah's death is listed in 1965.

It's probably worth your while getting his death cert., because Australian ones are very good. You'll get the date, place and cause of death and place of burial, how long he'd been in Australia, and the names of his wives and living children (assuming the informant was aware of them).

You can order the cert directly through the Registry at the above address, but it's much cheaper to get it from an authorised transcription agent:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 15:37

I see there are 4 people on this site with Raymond in their tree, including you - have you contacted the others?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 15:56

I found the following death entry on Ancestry:

Evelyn Joyce Rylah, born 18 Aug 1924 , died Apr quarter 2001 aged 76 in Dewsbury Yorkshire.

However, the date of birth doesn't match the one given with the emigration details for Raymond and Evelyn.

The birth of the one who emigrated with Raymond is presumably this one:

[name of possibly living relative deleted]

And the birth of the one who died in 2001 is presumably this one:

Evelyn J Rylah, born Dewsbury, 3rd quarter of 1924, mmn Leight.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 16:26

I've just had a look for P's birth in England in the first quarter of 1958, but there's no entry with the surname Rylah or N, so presumably E was married to somebody else before she met Raymond.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 16:29

I found a photo of Raymond's tombstone, in case you're interested:

http://cemindex.arkangles.com/inscription.php?id=630588

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 17:16

HI MARY

MY GOD I LOVE THESE MESSAGE BOARDS THE INFO YOU GET FROM OTHER RESEARCHES IS GREAT IVE BEEN LOOKING INTO THIS MAN FOR YEARS ANOTHER MEMBER IGI TOLD ME TO MESSAGE ON HERE THIS MORNING AND THE INFO IVE GOT
IVE NOT EVEN SEEN OTHER PEOPLE WITH RAYMOND RYLAH IN THERE TREE AND HOW DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH A authorised transcription agent
AND DO I JUST COPY AND PASTE THE SITE AT THE BOTTOM TO GET PIC OF RAYMOND TOMBSTONE
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESEARCH ANY OTHER INFO IS GREATLY ACCEPTED

MANY REGARDS PAULA

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 17:19

DEAR MARY

IVE JUST TRIED TO LOOK AThttp://cemindex.arkangles.com/inscription.php?id=630588
BUT IT WONT LET ME IS THERE ANOTHER SITE TO LOOK AT BEFORE THIS
REGARDS PAULA

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 17:29

MARY

IVE TALKED TO MY SISTERS AND WE THINK IT COULD BE LIKE THIS
RAYMOND MARRIED EVELYN BEFORE 1945 WHEN HE WAS 21 THEN DIVORCED HER AND MARRIED MY MUM IN 1957 WHEN EVELYN MIGHT OF MARRIED OR HAD A CHILD TO SOMEONE ELSE
THEN IN EARLY 1960S THEY GOT BACK TOGETHER HER STILL USING RYLAH THEY WENT TO AUSTRALIA AND WHEN HE DIED IN 1965 OF WHICH I HAVE THE DEATH CERT BATHURST NEW SOUTH WALES AUSTRALIA
BUT IT ONLY HAS HIS MOTHER AND FATHER ON AND CAUSE OF DEATH.
OF WHICH MY SISTER DIED OF IN NOVEMBER 2004
REGARDS PAULA

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 17:31

That cemindex site should work just by copying and pasting the address into your browser.

If it doesn't, go to http://cemindex.arkangles.com

then click on Name Search and search for Rylah. Then click on the camera icon on the right-hand side of the page to see the photo.

If you put Raymond's name into the search box at the top of this page (where it says Quick Search) you'll find the other people who have him in their trees.

To find a transcription agent, go to this page.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

which has a list of three agents. I generally use Marilyn Rowan. Click on the link to her website (or one of the others), and you can order the transcription online.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 11 Feb 2008 17:34

I've just seen your last message where you say you already have the death certificate, so there's no point in contacting a transcription agent, because they can only give you the same information that was on the death certificate.

Who was the informant? E? Were any children of Raymond's named?

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 17:47

HI MARY
YES IVE LOOKED SORRY THEY ARE FAMILY MEMBERS THAT ARE COPING MY TREE AND JAMIE IS POSSIBLY HIS GRANDAUGHTER MY NIECE
THANKS I STILL CANT SEE THAT PIC I WILL TRY AGAIN
REGARDS PAULA

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 17:58

HI MARY
I HAVE FOUND THE PIC THANKS SO MUCH PAULA

Paula

Paula Report 11 Feb 2008 19:26

HI MARY
I HAVENT GOT ORIGINAL JUST LOOKED AT NSW REGISTRY BIRTHS DEATH MARR SITE SO JUST TELLS ME DATE AND MOTHER AND FATHER NAME

REGARDS PAULA