Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hi does anyone have access to newspaper articles?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 25 Mar 2022 11:27

I have Just started researching Laura Faith Clarke from Somerset and have found a newspaper article about her death. Please an someone take a look at it and see what it says for me?. This is the article I am interested in.

Laura Faith Edwardes
Sex Female
Age 75
Event Date 20 Jan 1899
Event Place Yeovil, Somerset, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Yeovil, Somerset, England
Death Date 12 Jan 1899
Birth Year (Estimated) 1824
Father's Name Thomas Edward Clarke
Spouse's Name William Edwardes, Lieut-Col
Event Type Obituary
Event Place Note 102-9139
Newspaper Western Gazette
Page Number 8

Thanks for your help.

Jane

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Mar 2022 11:55

Newspaper records usually need you to join a site to view them

Jane

Jane Report 25 Mar 2022 11:57

Thank you. I will look into that.

Maddie

Maddie Report 25 Mar 2022 12:06

these are from find my past

er by

Doc True

prtks. IKS.—January 10th. Cumberland House. New Wng-sireet, Bath, the wife Stephen J. Davies a •lughter. wICKINSON.— Jan. 5. Atherstone-.errace. S.W.,
prtks. IKS.—January 10th. Cumberland House. New Wng-sireet, Bath, the wife Stephen J. Davies a •lughter. wICKINSON.— Jan. 5. Atherstone-.errace. S.W.,
in her year. COLE.—Jan. 15, 18, Circus, Bath, Thomas Cole, MD.Lbh.. F.R.C.P England, aged 53. — an 12, at Clevedon. Laura Faith Edwardes. widow of Lieut.-Col. William Edwardes, daughter the late Thomas Clarke, of Chard : Somerset, in her 67*h year. *OBfo
19 January 1899 - Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Bath, Somerset, England

Doc True

Births, Marriages, and Deaths. BIRTHS. ALFORD.—Jan. 13, at 14, Vincent Street, Yeovil, the t of Frank Alford, of a daughter.
Births, Marriages, and Deaths. BIRTHS. ALFORD.—Jan. 13, at 14, Vincent Street, Yeovil, the t of Frank Alford, of a daughter.
11, at Leigh Road, Wimborne, Henry Everett (late of 'fishery), aged 89. El —Jan. 12, at Middleton Villa, Clevedon. Laura Faith Edwardes. widow uf Lieut.-Cul. William Eiwardes, and-daughter of the late Thomas Edward Clar:ie, Chard, aged 75. FOWL—Jan. 9
24 January 1899 - Weymouth Telegram - Weymouth, Dorset, England

Doc True

DISTRICT NICW&
DISTRICT NICW&
Harris., Moss A. .'.moth, and Mrs. halls , font. Me , coffin, of plain oak, with elm Well and braes foments; bore t h e Laura Faith Edwardes. died 12th January, 1639, (DATE MISTRANSCRIBED) aged 66." Several aural tokens of and awl esteem were seat by eels tees and then& of the
17 January 1899 - Bristol Times and Mirror - Bristol, Bristol, England

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Mar 2022 12:07

Fmp has it but it’s just an obit in the deaths Column

Laura Faith
Publication place Bath, Somerset, England
Last name Edwardes
Other names William Edwardes, Thomas Cole, Thomas Clarke, George Ford, Emily Ann Barnard, Robert Charles Temple, Bishop Sutton, Sarah Jane, Joshua Harding, James King, Leigh Woods
Periodical Bath Chronicle And Weekly Gazette
Record set People In The News
Location Bath, Somerset, England, Clevedon
Category Directories & social history
Publication date 19 January 1899
Subcategory Newspapers & Magazines
Page number 1
Collections from Great Britain, Ireland, England

Edwardes Jan 12th at Clevedon .Laura Faith Edwardes widow of Left.Col William Edwardes and daughter of the late Thomas Clarke of Chard Somerset in her 67th year

Jane

Jane Report 25 Mar 2022 12:50

Thank you Maddie and Shirley- I,m getting the hang of it. I will add that death information to my records.

Thanks again

Jane

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Mar 2022 13:06

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but this appears to be the most in-depth obituary for her.

FUNERAL The funeral took place on Monday of Mrs William Edwards, an old and respected inhabitant of Clevedon and widow of Col Edwards 18th Bengal Infantry H.E.I.C.S.
The first part of the service was conducted in St John's Church by Rev A R Cartwright, vicar, who also officiated at the graveside.
The mourners included Miss Edwards (daughter), the Rev Walrond Clarke (brother), Clayhidon Rectory, Wellington; Mrs J C Langdon (sister), Miss M Langdon (niece), Miss Lucy Carter, Miss Louisa Harris, Miss A. Smith, and Mrs. Ballefant. The coffin, of plain oak, with elm shell and brass furniture, bore the inscription " Laura Faith Edwards, died 12th January, 1899, aged 66."
Floral tributes included : Cross, "In loving memory of my darling mother, from her sorrowing daughter, Amy;" cross: "In loving memory from her broken-hearted God-Daughter, Violet;" wreaths "With love and much sympathy, from her sister and all at Barrocks Lodge;" "From one who loved her, Mrs E Drake Bach;" "In loving remembrance and deep sympathy from F L and L A Carter;" " Mr and Mrs St J Olding, with kind remembrance and much sympathy;" " For darling mama, from her very loving little Dora;" "In token of affectionate sympathy, from E J H and L M H;" " With Mr and Mrs Court's deepest sympathy;" "With love and much sympathy, Mr and Mrs Boucher."

21 January 1899 - Chard and Ilminster News - Chard, Somerset, England

Jan. 12, at Middleton Villa, Clevedon, Laura Faith Edwardes. widow of Lieut.-Col. William Edwardes, and daughter of the late Thomas Edward Clarke, of Chard, aged 75.
24 January 1899 - Weymouth Telegram - Weymouth, Dorset, England

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Mar 2022 13:17

Just as an extra, she lost a son in 1873. Poor lad was obviously very ill.

March 19, at 6, Chilworth-street, London, after much sufferings borne with great patience, Walrond Whitter, the dearly loved son of Laura Faith Edwards aged 14.
28 March 1873 - Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Exeter, Devon, England

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Mar 2022 15:17

The Western Gazette article in Jane's opening post has a very garbled computerised transcription in the BNA. I don't have a sub to see the original.

However, it's just the same basic death notice.

EDWARDys. Jan. 12, at Middleton Villa. Clevedon, Faith Edwardes, widow of Lieut.-Col. Wlliam Ed»' -J, and daughter the late Thomas Edward Clarke, Ch aged 75.

Published: Friday 20 January 1899
Newspaper: Western Gazette
County: Somerset, England

Jane

Jane Report 26 Mar 2022 08:05

Thank you all very much for all your kind help with this information. I have tried googling different members of the Thomas Edward Clarke family but have found very little about them. I know they were a well to do family and expected to find quite a lot about them. I will just have to keep looking.

Thanks again

Jane

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 26 Mar 2022 09:28

Laura and her husband were married by the Rev Walrond Whitter Clarke (her brother from the funeral piece alviegal transcribed?). Maybe that's who she named her sadly short lived son after.

Jane

Jane Report 26 Mar 2022 10:47

Thanks Kucinta

Thats interesting information. Thank you

Jane.

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Mar 2022 19:53

First name(s) Laura Faith
Last name Clarke
Father's first name(s) Thomas Edward
Father's last name Clarke
Birth year 1835
Mother's first name(s) Frances Southcomb
Mother's last name Clarke
Birth place Chard, Somerset, England
Baptism year -
Record set England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Residence Chard, Somerset, England
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Holy Rood Street, Chard, Somerset, England

Household members (17 people)
First name(s) Last name Sex Age Birth year Birth place
Francis Clarke Female 41 1800 -
Thomas Clarke Male 21 1820 Somerset, England
Edward Clarke Male 18 1823 Somerset, England
Francis Clarke Female 20 1821 Somerset, England
Walroud Clarke Male 1 1840 Somerset, England
Ann Clarke Female 15 1826 Somerset, England
Emma Clarke Female 11 1830 Somerset, England
Laura Clarke Female 9 1832 Somerset, England

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Mar 2022 19:55

Is this her father's death? Frances is a widow in 1841.

Nov. 14, at his seat, Ashbrittle, Somerset, aged 60, Thomas Edward Clarke, Esq. solicitor, eldest son of the late Rev. Thomas Edward Clarke, Rector of Clayhidon, Somersetshire, and grandson of the Rev. Thomas Clarke, of Tremlet House, Ashbrittle.
12 December 1840 - Oxford University and City Herald - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

At Teignmouth, Thomas Edward Clarke, esq. of Chard, Somerset, to Frances Southflood, only daughter the late Capt Whitter, R.N.
03 October 1818 - Oxford University and City Herald - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Feb. 5, in his 67th year, the Rev. Thomas Edward Clarke, rector of Clay Hidon, Devonshire.
19 February 1814 - Oxford University and City Herald - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Richard, only son of the late Captain Neale, of the 25th Light Dragoons, to Frances Margaret, eldest daughter of the late Thomas Edward Clarke, Esq. of Chard, Somersetshire.-
29 July 1843 - Oxford Journal - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Jane

Jane Report 27 Mar 2022 10:51

HI alviegal

Yes that is the family. Thank you for that information It confirms quite a lot of thongs for me.

All the best

Jane