Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gypsy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 10 Feb 2022 21:46

Hello
i am a bit stuck with this one dont know if any one can give me suggestions on what to do.
Have been told by a distant cousin my great great grandfather or grandmother had Gypsy blood
but dont know how to check this..
James Creasey 1865 and his wife Esther Buckland 1864 from East Grinstead
there may be nothing in this but would be nice if it was true.

Barry

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Feb 2022 21:55

Previous thread on the Creasey family, including James and Esther .
Might save some duplication of research:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1399348

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Feb 2022 22:04

I don't know how you would find out about gypsy blood, except maybe by DNA.

James's father George was an agricultural labourer in 1861 and 1851, and a labourer at marriage in 1844.

The fathers of both George and his wife Amelia/Milly were labourers as at 1844.

Esther's father Robert was an agricultural carter in 1871, an agricultural labourer in 1861, and a farm servant in 1851.
Robert's father was also a labourer.

They sound pretty settled. If there was any gypsy blood, it may have been before censuses.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 10 Feb 2022 23:12

Buckland also known as Buckley is a very well known Romany gypsy name and if you google it you can find a lot of information about them. I have used some of the sites mentioned to trace some of my Boswell Gypsy families

Barry

Barry Report 13 Feb 2022 16:35

cheers

Barry

Barry Report 21 Feb 2022 22:50

thanks everyone <3