Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

carbo

carbo Report 3 Sep 2013 10:03

I am trying to find a Alexandria Agnes Rowan who was born abt 1908 Dublin Ireland she married a ? Delaney about 1932 . their first child Leo was born In The Isle of Man 1933.
Agnes died 1990 Isle of Man
Can SKP please tell what I can do ?.
No trace of Birth or marriage ..

Thankyou
Babs

carbo

carbo Report 3 Sep 2013 12:00

Thank you
I have tried this but can only find one Agnes rowan aged 5 ,no alexandria
Babs

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Sep 2013 15:27

Christopher...Do you have the names of any subsequent children....was Leo.(1933) Leo George....Reg. Douglas..IOM ?

carbo

carbo Report 6 Sep 2013 15:13

Hi
The mother of Leo b 1933 Dublin was Agnes Alexandria not the other way around .her birth could be wrong .I have found one A A. Rowan born 1904 Dublin ,daughter of a Kate Rowan b 1865 ,.i think that Agnes could have had a sister Marion b abt 1879 Dublin .quite an age gap
am clutching at straws at the moment ,but trying very hard to find lost family for a elderly family member who only knows her Mothers name of A A Rowan who marred a Delaney .
The only other information is that her Mother would never talk about her childhood ,other than her family upheld the IRA ,& were staunch Catholics
Do you think the Leo you have is somehow connected
regards
Barbara Carberry

carbo

carbo Report 6 Sep 2013 15:46

Just had a breakthrough ,
YES
Leo George b 1933 douglas is the one I was looking for ,his Father was also Leo Delaney b 1896 I. O .M. who married Agnes Alexander Rowan b 1902 on 26 Sept 1932 .

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Sep 2013 00:18

Christopher...

Leo was the son of Robert George Delaney and Anne Kelly they married 1883

Name: Robert George Delaney
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 15 Nov 1883
Event Place: Braddan, Isle of Man
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Michael Delaney
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Name: Annie Kelly
Spouse's Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Father's Name: Patrick Kelly

Robert died 1899 and Anne must have remarried as Leo is down on Census as "Stepson" (1901) I dont have access to check out details...
There were a number of children born to Rbt and Anne..check them out on family search.

Leo died 1958 Douglas IOM Reg

Flip

Flip Report 7 Sep 2013 09:49

There's tree on ancestry that gives details of Leo/Agnes marriage. states she was 30 at time of marriage, gives her father as John Rowan, deceased, clerk at gasworks Dublin. The tree has her mother named Margaret but no other details on the parents.

Has her dob as 23/8/1902, and death 11/8/1990 & there is a photo of Leo. You can view the tree for free on mundia.com

Flip

Flip Report 7 Sep 2013 10:09

Leo Delaney
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1894
Age at enlistment:20
Birth Parish:St Matthew's
Birth County:Isle of Man
Document Year:1914
Regimental Number:50148
Regiment Name:Royal Engineers

Number of images:7

He enlisted 11/8/1914, states he was a shipwright driller, and had served apprenticeship at Maxim Vickers shipyard, Barrow (in Furness). Father of the Old Strand Inn, Strand St Douglas down as nok, but no name given. He was RC.

Discharged after 90 days on 8/11/1914 due to "irregularty with enlistment".

Added, thinking about this he lied about his age and must have also lied about his occupation. He was unemployed on the 1911 census, but claims to have served an apprenticeship by 1914. A normal apprenticeship back then in the shipyard was 5 years, I have my grandfathers papers he was an apprentice at the same shipyard around the same time. Although Leo got the name wrong, it should be Vickers sons & Maxim, not the other way round.

carbo

carbo Report 7 Sep 2013 12:05

many thanks to you all for your input .Lots now to research .

Babs

Flip

Flip Report 7 Sep 2013 13:05

The Ireland census available on the link posted early in the thread by Reggie seems to be having problems today, but it could be worth checking for John Rowan in 1901/1911 - if the occupation is right on the marriage record he should be around.

carbo

carbo Report 9 Sep 2013 11:03

Flip
I have studied all the info on family trees .re parents of Agnes Alexandra Rowan
.A birth ref is not shown .
Furthur research shows a A .A .Rowan born 1902 Mountjoy Prison Dublin ,there is also a Kate Rowan there who could be her Mother .
Perhaps that is the mystery concerning her Birth
There is a John Rowan who married a
Margaret ,but dates do not tie up .so doubt if they are parents of Agnes Alexandra .

Still plodding on with this one ,but many thanks ..

Robert

Robert Report 11 Mar 2022 23:04

Hi Barbara. I really hope that you are still looking. This lady is my grandmother. She was born in North Dublin in 1902 and lived most of her life in the isle of Man. My mum - Eileen Theresa DELANEY was one of her children. Would really love to talk to you. . Thanks. Rob...................

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2022 07:04

Robert

Firstly you must remove your mobile telephone nos

It’s against the T&C ,s of the site to post personal info as it’s not a closed site and anything posted can be picked up by Google .

It’s very unlikely that the poster will pick up your reply as it’s an old thread

To try and make contact click on her name and send a message

If she still has the same email address it will go through and you may get a reply
No guarantees though

:-)

Robert

Robert Report 12 Mar 2022 12:36

Thank You . Really Appreciated. New and desperate when I saw the thread. The potential to unlock an awful lot of History!