Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Colligan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 13 Jan 2006 21:08

Looking for information about John Colligan born Nov21 1886, Govan , by 1911 a clerk in Rangoon Alexander James Colligan born Nov 21st 1889 in Glasgow, by 1911 in the RGA in Malta. They had a brother William and half sister Jessie Molly Campbell Murray. They used to live in Ayr Parents were James Colligan 1855-1911, born in Leeds and Catherine Henderson c1856- 1907 born Fife. They had a pawn brokers business at Old Bridge St, Ayr until 1907

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 12 Oct 2007 22:13

Long shot I know, but my Great aunt Bets Boath married Harry Colligan (I think) . They emigrated to Canada. She was from forfar, but they lived n Glasgow before moving to Owen SOund. I can find nothing on the Colligans.

RIng any bells?

Liz

Brittany

Brittany Report 31 May 2022 15:52

Brenda,

I have been trying to contact you for a very long time. We have the same family. My great grandfather is Alexander James Colligan. I bought a 1 month subscription on this site which I wont be keeping. For some reason it wont let me message you directly. I really want to connect.

I hope you see this.
As this account on here wont last.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 May 2022 16:01

Brittany

As you are probably aware this is a very old thread that you have added to. Sadly Brenda is no longer a member and can’t be contacted through Genes. Liz is also no longer a member.

I note that you only have a one month sub but it is against the T&C to show a personal email address and you need to remove it.

Sorry that none of this helps you.

Names

Added. You seem to have two trees on Ancestry - Brenda appears to have John on an Ancestry tree and she has logged in very very recently.

Brittany

Brittany Report 31 May 2022 16:42

Ive tried reaching out to her on ancestry and she hasnt opened any of my messages. Ive been trying to reach her for the longest LONGEST time. Seeing how old her post is from 2006..I would assume shed be thrilled after all these years to find a family member. Is there a way you can send her an email with my email please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2022 16:49

No-one can contact her as she no longer has a GR account.

Please delete your e-mail, or your thread may be reported for a breach of T&C's

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 May 2022 17:13

I assume Brittany is asking for a message to be sent via Ancestry :-S

Brittany, if she isn’t responding to your messages via Ancestry then how likely is she to respond to a message from anyone else. Ancestry do not have a system that shows whether a message has been read. So you would have no idea if she is not opening her messages or just ignoring you.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jun 2022 15:14

Brittany has deleted her personal email.

For myself I think a simple pointing out of an error is better than a threat.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 1 Jun 2022 17:45

Re Ancestry Messaging system, I agree it's not terribly informative, I think there's a chance you might be able to get some idea if your message has been seen or not.

.I have noticed that if you look at the list of contacts/people you have sent messages to, on the left hand side of the messaging screen, some have ticks, and some do not.

If I look at the message I sent for the people without ticks, at the bottom it says 'Delivered!' against a time.

If I look at the message I sent to people who are ticked, 'Delivered' has been replaced by 'Read'. I'm not sure if the time changes though, so it might be impossible to tell WHEN the message was read.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jun 2022 15:26

Thanks Kucinta.
I hadn't spotted the ticks before. I presume they are new.

I've just had a look at one of my messge streams. I sent a message in October 2020. No date is given for being read but it syas 10.54. The reply was in March this year and all it has is a time but there is no way of knowing of the other person had read it earlier and didn't send a reply until this year. My reply, the next day, has a delivered time.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 2 Jun 2022 15:44

Hi Names, not entirely sure if I've got it right how it works, but in recent messages I've sent, where the person hasn't responded to my initial message, my message just has a delivery time and the person is unticked.

Where the person did acknowledge the message, the message now says 'read' against a time and the person is ticked.

I got into a long conversation with one respondent, and we had a whole chain of messages, which switched from 'delivered' to 'read', as we conversed.

Maybe, after a period of time, the 'delivered' or 'read' notation disappears, just showing the time?

Like I said, I'm not too sure, but it would be useful if there is a way we can sort the read from the non reads...